Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

what are all the fins for?

• souljor Monday, April 12, 2010 10:33 AM Reply
    behind the head, all those fins. is that to act as some kind of a heatsink, to dissipate the heat?
    Posts(1055) | Reviews | Tip post

• isotco Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, April 12, 2010 10:37 AM Reply
    Heatsink to dissipate heat.
    Stay a while and listen!
    Posts(3339) | Reviews | Tip post

• maintje Monday, April 12, 2010 10:37 AM Reply
    i think a little for the heat, but its the design always like this with the bigger cree lights
    Posts(8) | Reviews | Tip post

• chicharron455 Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:33 PM Reply
    Must be for heatsink,if You read the comments about sku 31869,it is shutting off after a few minutes of use due to heat,this design is clearly more heat efficient.
    Posts(36) | Reviews | Tip post

• isotco Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:40 PM Reply
    "this design is clearly more heat efficient"

It looks to be more efficient but you need to actually know the thermal resistance numbers (°C/W) for both sinks before you can make statements with such certainty.
    Stay a while and listen!

• chicharron455 Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:12 PM Reply
    c´mon man ,sure I´m no expert ,but I have some common sense ,this design is clearly more heat oriented than skus 31869 and 32591,all the fins are for heat dissipation

• isotco Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:11 AM Reply
    Common sense isn't as common as you'd think, think about it : )

I believe that having good thermal path is very important, the fins are part of the thermal path but they are not the single determining factor in it.

BTW. the thing that causes sku.31869 to fail/shut down is not its "low" number of fins but the high thermal resistance between them and the LED/electronics inside.

"this design is clearly more heat oriented"

I think that making statements like that with such certainty based on nothing more than visual clues, if anything, points towards a lack of common sense. I'm not going to argue further since it is pretty clear that your understanding of the subject is fairly limited, not that it matters anyway ^_^
    Stay a while and listen!

• souljor Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:20 AM Reply
    alright folks. so the fins are for dissipating heat.

but if the thermal connection between the fins and the LED is poor (ie if the torch is poorly designed - not impossible :P) then the fins will not really serve their purpose very well.

got ya.
    cheers.
    Posts(1055) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ghlargh Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:04 PM Reply
    It is quite common that the LED board is not actually held down on to the heat sink surface by anything, they often just smear some thermal paste on it (if that) and press it down, hoping it will stay down.

Also since the pill is often threaded in place with no other heat path than the threads, the threads should be coated in thermal paste, this has not been done on any of my lights.

Not to mention that the driver board is almost never heat sinked at all, it is usually just pressed into the pill, with only small parts of it's outer edge in contact.
    Posts(3622) | Reviews | Tip post

• chicharron455 Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:59 PM Reply
    Yes isotco,I apology for my comment it is true,my understanding is very limited about flashlights ,cause I like them ,but I´m not a flashoholic,but 2820 posts in this "forum" clearly shows that a common sense isn't as common as you'd think, think about it : )

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere