Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

The stars...

• DrJones Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:35 PM Reply
    I wonder... I somewhere read about switching between mode groups by contacting the stars somehow... someone else said it might be programmable...

Has someone solved that mystery?
    Posts(1593) | Reviews | Tip post

• isotco Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:41 PM Reply
    Connect the different stars to the negative pole to activate different mode groups.

There are detailed explanations on how to do this if one searches a bit.
    There should also be a mode group/connected star that allows for simple High-Mid-Low operation without blinky modes.
    Stay a while and listen!
    Posts(3339) | Reviews | Tip post

• edr7ra Saturday, April 17, 2010 6:03 PM Reply
    Received this one today,first one.Work as stated.If short to minus pole the first star from the right became two modes,H and L/M ,100 mA.
    The board work cold in all modes.
    Posts(473) | Reviews | Tip post

• DrJones Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:11 AM Reply
    I found this info at cpf; not sure if it is the full info, not even if it's for this board, though:

You connect different combinations of the four stars to the batt(-) ring to change the mode groups.

Connect the stars to GND (the negative ring).
    No star connected (except the 4th): 5-mode: Low/Mid/High/Fast Strobe/SOS
    First star (clockwise earliest) : 2-mode: Low/High
    First AND second star : 3-mode: Low/Mid/High
    All stars connected to GND : 3-mode: Low/High/Slow Strobe(2Hz, 2 times per second)

• DrJones Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:57 AM Reply
    I found that the chip used there is a micro-controller; with the right tools you can program it in C, ASM, or Basic... You could program it to have any user interface you want, from 2-mode to morse code messages...

I'll add that to my list of DIY-projects-I'll-keep-in-mind-but-probably-never-really-do.

• isotco Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:59 PM Reply
    "I'll add that to my list of DIY-projects-I'll-keep-in-mind-but-probably-never-really-do."

Have had it on that list for close to two years now, would be fun to do but I never seem to be able to get myself to actually do it ^_^
    Stay a while and listen!
    Posts(3339) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ghlargh Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:23 PM Reply
    DrJones: i have had that idea, but it's just so much work...

Also if i do that, i would really want to redesign the board so it works like it's supposed to all through, no shoddy design on driver or pwm switch.

Ideally you would push a pwm signal to the driver.
    Posts(3622) | Reviews | Tip post

• DrJones Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:10 PM Reply
    As long as you want to use a single Li-ion battery for powering, I thought this simple setup (wire the input pin of some 7135s to some ATtiny13V pins; the µC has built-in PWM channels) was quite good... What would you improve?

• Ghlargh Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:15 PM Reply
    Well, since the 7135 doesn't have a PWM input and the ATT can drive maybe 30mA, you will have a very dim flash light.

First off i would not use a linear regulator, ideally one would use a buck+boost converter so that the LED voltage is always the ideal one.

These converters almost always have a shutdown input that can be used as a PWM input.
    Posts(3622) | Reviews | Tip post

• DrJones Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:26 PM Reply
    I'm puzzled... many multi-mode 7135-based boards drive the 7135s with a PWM signal from the mode chip; they usually use something roughly around 1kHz. The this forums circuit does that, too, as far as I can see: The PWM signal form the µC is fed to the control pin of the 7135s, so they switch the current on and off in high frequency. At least that's what I thought...

Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere