Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

What's your favorite DX knife and why?

• gregwalton Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:19 AM Reply
    I just had to ask, and yet I find it difficult to answer myself.

I have bought 15 knives (13 different SKUs) from DX... so far! There has been only one I didn't like sku.33853.

My first favorite was the black-bladed ceramic knife sku.28878. I have two of these and have tested the first one pretty much to destruction. They turned out to be a lot tougher than I expected. The only trouble is that they will get blunt eventually and you can't sharpen them.

My next favorite was a 20cm carbon steel camouflaged knife sku.18256. Again I have two of these. They're strong enough, not too heavy, a decent size yet compact and comfortable to hold with the slightly rubbery finish to the handle. They sharpen up well and hold an edge. Good price, too. Love 'em.

But my latest favorite is the new black-bladed, stiletto style flipper sku.37597. I can't think of a good use for it (other than scaring people) but it's just so damn classic and stylish. Even though I wish it had another wooden insert instead of the clip it just seems to say quality. Or maybe just "go away".
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gregwalton on 6/17/2010 at 2:05 AM
  • ICanuwundra Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:08 PM Reply
    Next to the same black ceramic blade folder (a tachi knockoff) I also like
    the SR2008 (sku.11619), which copies the operation of the Kershaw ET, and its smaller sibling, which I have on my key chain. Recently I came to like sku.30898, but that one would benefit from somewhat harder steel. My mom likes sku.7606, which she uses for garden work.

Posts(1769) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:13 AM Reply
    I like the look of the SR2008, but the action on the video looks a bit weird and some people have said it's difficult to open with one hand.

It was when I saw the original Tachi that I realised how good a deal the DX ceramic knife is. It's about a fifth of the price and yet not noticeably different in quality apart from a couple of very minor finishing touches.

The first knife I got from DX was sku.30898. The quality and weight blew me away so I was a bit disappointed when I first got the Tachi ceramic replica. With use I've found 30898 sharpens up really well but doesn't hold the edge. That's a shame because it's such a big, tough knife. A high-carbon version would be great.

• ICanuwundra Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:53 AM Reply
    It is easy to open the SR2008 with one hand: take the back of the blad between thumb and index finger, oriented so that pivot is towards your palm. Give it a slight flick - inertaia of the larger mass of the handle will drive it open, and lodges the handle right into your palm. I think that's called heft flicking, as opposed to blade flicking, but looks a lot less "cool" when exercised, compared to blade snapping or flicking. It gets the job of single-handedly opening the knife done though, without the risk to pierce or carve your fingers.

• gregwalton Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:02 AM Reply
    I guess I know what will be on my next order...

• 3x0dys Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:10 AM Reply
    I don't know what you're talking about, I've owned that knife, in another color, for 8 months, and I swear there is no possible way of opening it with 1 hand. It takes about 10-15 lbs of pressure to open at all, and it'll only open if you pull the blade out, or push on the bottom of the handle/frame.

I'd have to say, so far, after ordering about 8 knives from DX, my favorite so far is sku.29450. It's a solid knife, looks incredibly nice, and it's the best quality and value of anything I've ever bought for 6$. It has the same problem as most of DX knives, it's screws come loose, but that's what loctite is for. :D
    Posts(74) | Reviews | Tip post

• ICanuwundra Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:07 AM Reply
    The pull I need to put on for the blade to come out is an estimated 500 grams - feels about half the force than the force needed to lift a mass of 1 liter of milk, and attaching that pack to the blade will pull it open. with 10..15 lbs I should be able to lift a whole bag of potatoes with it, before it comes open. But far from it - those estimated 500 grams are easily overcome by heft flicking - regardless of your swearing or not knowing what I am talking about. If you need a video, I suppose video beats swearing.

• cantstopshopper Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:27 PM Reply
    Does anyone know if this knife sku21374 and the other coloured versions are painted, or is it anodized?

I know it's not a favourite knife comment, but I figured people in this thread have the most knives/ highest chance of knowing- and I didn't think this question deserved its own thread.

My Fav:
    I would have to choose sku33987 -for its assist open, interesting handle, better spacers/fixtures, and overall build quailty. However, whenever I'm holding either sku32577 , sku18254 or sku18259 they seem to be my favourite. All good knives.
    Posts(112) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by cantstopshopper on 6/19/2010 at 1:54 PM
  • E_Man Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:27 PM Reply
    The SR2008 (sku.11619) cut me bad. I like ALL the butterflies they used to sell, modded a couple. Looking forward to buying some more.
    Just a crazed DX fan spending too much money
    --$1545 and change in a year
    Posts(787) | Reviews | Tip post

• cantstopshopper Monday, June 21, 2010 12:54 PM Reply
    When you ordered sku#11619 did any of you end up with the smaller version by mistake. I already have the little version- bought it somewhere else- want the big one but don't want to end up with a second little guy...
    Posts(112) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere