Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

what blade has the best steel

• dimeotane Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:19 PM Reply
    Can anyone give some suggestions as to what knives here have better quality steel blades?

Are any of them 440C stainless steel?

Which ones will keep an edge longest and truthfully are high carbon steel?

Here is a guide to the different types of steel used in knife blades:
    http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/steels.htm
    Posts(21) | Reviews | Tip post

• cabfrank Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:04 PM Reply
    most of the blades on dx are probably the same or very similar steel, regardless of what is marked on them. certainly none of them are 154cm, aus8A, or whatever else they say. they are still well worth the money though, at least most of them.
    Posts(494) | Reviews | Tip post

• RevolverOcelot Friday, June 25, 2010 10:14 AM Reply
    At most, DX knives are 420-440 steel.
    Posts(379) | Reviews | Tip post

• isotco Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 25, 2010 4:12 PM Reply
    What blade has the best steel? You'd have to check on bladeforums for that one... 440X or very similarly performing steels seems to be the standard in DXs stainless blades, can't speak for the carbon steel blades though.
    Stay a while and listen!
    Posts(3339) | Reviews | Tip post

• flashin Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:04 PM Reply
    i would say that most dx knives are 440.
    it's become a very inexspensive steel to produce.
    even though it's not the latest in blade metalergy, 440 is still a good blade steel.
    Howdy from Ohio!

(john 3:15-18)
    Posts(8054) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:35 PM Reply
    I don't think any of the DX blades I have are as soft as 420, nor are they quite that stain resistant. Most of the knives I've gotten from DX perform like 440 which suggests to me that they're using a Chinese steel of similar grade, like 8C13CrMoV. It doesn't hold an edge like S30V but it's easy to sharpen.

Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post(3)

• Falafel Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:53 AM Reply
    All of the blades I received from DX are of very acceptable quality and hold and edge fairly well.
    Since the blades are so inexpensive in the first place, I will not hesitate to sharpen and re-sharpen the hell out of them. Come think of it, professional sharpening might cost as much as half of a new blade...
    Posts(158) | Reviews | Tip post

Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere