Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

My name is Greg and I'm a DX junkie...

• gregwalton Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:44 AM Reply
    I've worked out that I've spent about £150 on knives this year - about £135 of that with DX. £150 is one really good knife, or a couple of decent ones, or two dozen DX knives (which are generally pretty good).

The advantage is that I've learned a lot about knives and got enough to have them everywhere and for every occasion. And unless you use a knife a heck of a lot do you really need the expensive, never-needs-sharpening steels that make up a lot of the cost of the brand-name knives?

As a teenager, when I used to do a lot of camping and fishing I saved up and bought a Helle sheath knife with a laminated steel blade (stainless outside, high carbon core and edge). The equivalent today is at least £90. It would have lasted me all my life, if it hadn't been stolen. I hardly ever needed to sharpen it. For the amount I actually used it a couple of the best DX knives would have lasted as well.

Or am I trying to justify being a DX junkie...?
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• acidica Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:47 AM Reply
    Contact me, I sell special pills that will make you spend less money :)
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why
    it’s called the present.
    Posts(3054) | Reviews | Tip post

• truskaVa Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:53 AM Reply
    How much for a pill? :) And what's the dosage?
    sonofabit
    Posts(101) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:06 AM Reply
    cheap, 10 pills for a fiver!
    dosage, take one half an hour before using the internet ;)
    Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11989) | Reviews | Tip post

• Hakan_G Moderator Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:27 AM Reply
    don't believe him .. he is a bad supplier.
    The pills don't work!!!

I'm online 24/7 and I took his pills and I still keep buying here at DX!

hmmm ... maybe I should increase the dosage? ;-)

My latest knife is the sku 7606.
    I like it. Simple, but nice ... might get one more as a spare.

@Greg, which DX knife is your favorite?
    I'm not part of DX Staff, only a forum moderator. My comments are my own
    views and might not reflect the views of DX.
    Got Questions for DX? Use CS Express: http://services.dealextreme.com/
    Posts(15340) | Reviews | Tip post

• flashin Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:53 AM Reply
    there is no cure.
    after a while, when you've feverishly bought everything you thought you wanted from dx...... and then bought some more, you'll bottom out and hit the ground hard in a dizzying spin. then you'll wake up in a pile of empty yellow padded envelopes. when that happens..... you just accept the addiction, and feed it when you can.
    you're not burnt out, just broke.
    the addiction flares up everytime there is money in your posession.
    you'll tell yourself anything to justify yet another purchase of something you didn't need, but something you WANT and MUST HAVE!

but there's a devil on the homepage that pulls you in and infects you with the sickness deeper and deeper in your soul...... the new arrivals link!!!
    there's no avoiding it.

the only effective treatment is to stay off the internet.

............but who can do that?

watches..... knives........ flashlights!!!!!!!
    oh, i ordered some of each yesterday. i should be ok for a while.

you know there's a problem when your postal carrier doesn't require your signature anymore, and signs it herself.

[favorite knife is sku.18252]

Howdy from Ohio!

(john 3:15-18)
    Posts(8054) | Reviews | Tip post

• Hakan_G Moderator Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:20 PM Reply
    Last year during summer I got a notification to pick up a DX package from the Region Office instead of the local post office.
    I phoned them up and asked about why I should travel to the region office as I wasn't happy about that.
    The call was transferred to one of the managers there and I explained my problem. She looked into it and after a while she says to me:
    'Are you the guy with all the yellow envelopes'?
    I started to laugh and said 'Yes, I am'.
    The response I got was:
    'I guess one of the summer workers made a mistake, of course you shouldn't have to come to the region office. We'll ship it to your local post office and you can pick it up tomorrow as usual. The regular workers here all know about you so don't expect any further problems'

I guess I'm sorta famous amongst the postal workers ;-)
    I'm not part of DX Staff, only a forum moderator. My comments are my own
    views and might not reflect the views of DX.
    Got Questions for DX? Use CS Express: http://services.dealextreme.com/
    Posts(15340) | Reviews | Tip post

• cantstopshopper Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:51 PM Reply
    Let's see- 27 knives, couple of them free with DX points, means I've spent over $200can. on them. They are good knives for exactly the reason Greg says and I stand behind my decision to get lots of decent ones rether than only a couple of great ones. I like having the variety and they do a fine job anyway. Again, as Greg pointed out, you get lots of experience taking these apart and messing with them, with no remorse if something goes wrong- for instance check out the link to my other thread about modifying knives; and show off what you can do:

http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.-216~threadid.673206
    Posts(112) | Reviews | Tip post

• kirkclaybrook Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:06 PM Reply
    Greg you'd best stay away from the flashlights
    Posts(128) | Reviews | Tip post

• cabfrank Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:24 PM Reply
    i am ill as well. more flashlight ill than knife ill, but still ill. i gotta say though, afterh buying many knives here, then a couple good ones, i've really changed my opinion. one good one is worth way more than a bunch of crappy ones.
    Posts(494) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere