Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

Addiction getting serious

• gregwalton Friday, August 13, 2010 6:33 AM Reply
    So I've bought two dozen knives from DX on the grounds of wanting to find out what I want in a knife. Thought it might be time to get a real knife. I bought a Timberline Kickstart: 3.5" spear point, plain edge, AUS8 blade; assisted opening; Zytel scales. Nothing flash, just a good EDC (EveryDay Carry).

My immediate comparison with DX knives? Stronger liners, brass shims, no loose screws and the box wasn't crushed ;o) Hopefully the blade will keep an edge much longer as well, being AUS8 steel. On the other hand the best DX knife are just as well finished, just as well-balanced, just as comfortable to hold and I've had knives arrive from DX with sharper edges.

I was thinking this is only the second "proper" knife I've had. As a teen I spent all my savings on a sheath knife from a gun shop that was closing down. It was a Helle with a laminated stainless-carbon-stainless 5" full-tang blade and a stacked wood handle. A real "last a lifetime" knife which would have done if it hadn't been in my toolbox, which got stolen.

But my DX knives, or at least the best of them, are proper knives too. OK the blades may blunt quicker but with half a dozen of them for the price of my Timberline you can just grab another if you don't have time to sharpen the one you've been using.

DX knives: with a bit of maintenance, I'm still impressed.
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• flashin Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:30 PM Reply
    have you gave one away as a gift to anyone yet?

or are you still in the hoarding stages?

i usualy buy 2 so i can keep one and give one away..... or have a back up for an edc if i really like a particular knife.

but as a gift...... most people, even veteran knife owners/users are pretty impressed with them.
    of coarse i never tell 'em what i paid for it.
    but i do tell 'em they're not a genuine brand, and at best, the blade material is most likely 440...... no matter what is printed on the blade.

still makes 'em happy..... a free knife usualy does.
    Howdy from Ohio!

(john 3:15-18)
    Posts(8054) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Monday, August 16, 2010 5:49 AM Reply
    I've given away one of my Boker Subcom copies sku.19364. It's such a handy and useful knife that I'll have to get more.

• gregwalton Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:38 AM Reply
    I've finally got my sharpening kit set up. I'm using a single 20° angle (on each side). It's a bit of a compromise between different uses. Anyway, the point is that it matches what my "semipro" AUS-8 Timberline knife was set to.

I've sharpened half a dozen of my DX knives and my Timberline. All the DX knives I've tried will take a good edge, sharp enough to shave some/most of the hairs off my arm. The Timberline will shave all the hairs in a strip. In fact between them all I've hardly any hairs left on my left forearm!

Once again I'm pleased with my Timberline knife but surprised at how good the DX knives are for a fraction of the price. I'm also glad I had the DX knives to practice sharpening.

Unfortunately I'm now looking at a CRKT SOTFB fixed blade knife which is on special offer - but still costs as much as half a dozen good DX knives. Somebody tell me I don't need a fixed blade knife.Please!

• flashin Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:00 PM Reply
    that's how my dad knows i got a new knife or two........ my left arm is bald!
    Howdy from Ohio!

• Raniak Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:42 PM Reply
    Most of DX knifes get dull because they are stainless steel, which is pretty soft as knifes go.

As for sharpening, please don't sharpen them to scary razor-sharp. Most knifes are not made to be razor-knife and only dull faster.

Razor shaving occur when the edge is very thin, so thin it pretty much "push the atoms away" if you will. The problem is that a thin edge is very easy to dull because the metal will roll on itself. You want to aim for micro-serrations.

That said, I must admit that I love having some knifes up to razor-sharpness myself. Sure, they get dull easy, but I love to hone them up.
    Posts(99) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:31 AM Reply
    Raniak Makes a good point: a smooth, fine edge isn't necessarily the right edge to have. A slightly rougher, micro-serrated adge can be better for cutting cords or other fibrous materials.

Also there are considerations around the grind angles of the edge. Kitchen knives are often sharpened at 15° either side of the plane of the blade, general purpose knives 20° and heavy-duty knives 25°. Axes would be more than 30° and scalpels and razors less than 15°.

There's also the idea of grinding the very edge of the blade at a slightly broader angle to help with edge retention. Professional kitchen knives are often 15° with the last half a millimetre or so being 20°. Similarly many high quality folders are 20° with a 25° edge.

All the sharpening I've been doing on my knives has been with a simple 20° angle on either side. With my AUS8 and carbon steel blades this has given a good balance of sharpness and edge retention, but with a lot of the DX "Stainless Steel" blades the edge retention is not great. Then again for the amount of time I use those 25 knives it's not such a problem.

• flashin Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:04 PM Reply
    i forgot to tell you that you don't need that columbia river fixed blade knife...... but i don't really mean it!
    it's not a matter of need when you're a collecter.
    it's all about "want"!
    Howdy from Ohio!

• gregwalton Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:50 AM Reply
    Too late: ordered it yesterday!

• gregwalton Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:43 AM Reply
    Out of stock, so I should have cancelled but I changed it to an SOG Pentagon Elite. Why? Because DX has got me addicted and it's too easy to order stuff online. Aargh!

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere