Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Non working piece of junk

• TrondLarsen Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:31 PM Reply
    Should have posted this a long time ago... Bougth this eqipment to replace another broken unit (not from DX), but got very dissapointed when it wouldnt work. Felt like som cheap plastic toy av had a light working, but thats all. Can't understand others high rating of this piece of junk.
    Posts(8) | Reviews | Tip post

• TrondLarsen Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:16 PM Reply
    Really, it's a painfull to admit, but I have to crawl to the cross and make a confession... The darn thing is probably working after all. When looking for some other equipment I came across the unit, and just had to test it once more. This time there was'nt a light to see, the battery was flat. It really should'nt be after almost no use, so I replaced it with another. Suddenly it startet to light up like a christmas three like it never did the first time. I guess I must have been using a faulty battery as it also came right out of the box.

Now I'm in that glorious position that I threw away the box and manual. If someone owning this unit could be so kind to enlighten me on the usage...?

1.Main part has 2 rows of led lights, TX and RX. What is the meaning of RX and TX?
    2.Main unit has two RJ45 ports, and they're not working identically. Whats the difference?
    3.Main unit also has 3 USB ports, 2 standard and one like those on the printer side. Why and how to use?

Posts(8) | Reviews | Tip post

• SuperNinja Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:31 PM Reply
    "1.Main part has 2 rows of led lights, TX and RX. What is the meaning of RX and TX?"

TX = transmit
    RX = receive

When testing a cable, keep in mind that one end of the cable has to be plugged into TX, and the other end has to be plugged into RX.

------------------------------------

"2.Main unit has two RJ45 ports, and they're not working identically. Whats the difference?"

All the ports on the top of the unit are TX ports.

All of the ports on the left and right side of the unit (and also on the remote) are RX ports.

Test signal path:
    The test signal exits the unit at the TX ports, goes through the cable, and finishes at any RX ports.

For cables that have the same pinout (same wiring order) on both ends of the cable(like regular ethernet or USB cables), a number light on the TX row should make the same light come on for the RX row.

Additional info:
    The RX ports on the main unit are for use when both ends of the ethernet or USB cable are close enough to each other, to be able to be plugged into the main unit at the same time. (the remote unit is not needed in this case)

If the ends of the ethernet or USB cable are too far away from another (for example, when the 2 ends of the cable are on opposite ends of the room, or in different rooms, then the main unit has to be used at one end of the cable, and the remote unit used at the other end of the cable.

Note: The remote unit may not have RX printed on it, but just be aware that all the ports on the remote are RX.

------------------------------------

"3.Main unit also has 3 USB ports, 2 standard and one like those on the printer side. Why and how to use?"

Just so you are aware:

USB-A connector= looks rectangular, or what you called "standard"

USB-B connector= looks square, or what what you called "like those on the printer side"

Test signal path:
    The test signal exits the unit at the TX ports, goes through the cable, and finishes at any RX ports.

The reason why there are USB-A and USB-B TX ports is because there are different types of USB cables.

The most common USB cable is USB-A on one end, and USB-B on the other end. (like a USB cable you would use for a printer)

A far less common USB cable has USB-A on both ends. (don't ask what this type is used for, it's so uncommon I have never seen one in actual use)
    P.S - to those of you that think I am talking about a cable like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37898, no, I am not. I am talking about one like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24320
    Posts(1405) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by SuperNinja on 10/10/2010 at 2:35 PM
  • gossg Monday, April 18, 2011 7:13 PM Reply
    I just received this unit. I've owned cable testers in the past and know how to use those. This one only has the single page of instructions.

I cannot separate the remote unit from the main unit. I pried as hard as I'm willing to -- any harder and something will break. I don't see any release levers. I can't get into the battery box until I remove the remote terminator, and it won't pop off from the main unit.

I get the feeling that I'm missing something simple. The remote unit is attached to the main unit in ALL of the pictures here. But the instructions talk of it as a remote unit. it's house (ethernet) wiring i need to test, so i definately need to use a remote.
    Posts(14) | Reviews | Tip post

• gossg Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:09 PM Reply
    Figured it out. It's a slide connector. Remote piece slides straight back and off.
    Posts(14) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere