Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

Australian Customs Seized sku 4093

• kenkoala Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:23 AM Reply
    Just a note for Australian customers. Whilst the information and pictures on DX site would indicate this as a one handed opening knife, the Bureaucracy have determined knife able to open by centrifugal force therefore seized under under section 229(1)(b) of the Customs Act. Unless there were changes to the item I ordered and paid for and received in two months, this item should have been acceptable. The site claims this is a manual release knife.
    Manual Release Folding Tool Knife with Rope Cutter SKU 4093.
    If product changed without my knowledge and not advised by the seller- then they the seller should offer partial refund as well as change the site's specs and info to prevent this problem in the future.
    Posts(28) | Reviews | Tip post

• UltraMagnus Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:57 AM Reply
    It hasn't changed, customs in the UK pull this sort of sh*t too. Basically if you can hold the blade and the is any chance use centrifugal force to open the knife they may seize it.
    Posts(329) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:00 PM Reply
    You probably just fell victim to the subjective nature of the customs inspection process.

The agent on duty may have given the knife a hard flick and had it come open, or even simply decided that flicking it open from the thumb stud counts.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:06 AM Reply
    I have this knife and, as delivered, the pivot was loose enough that you probably COULD swing it open. Most of the liner-lock knives I've had from DX could be swung open after you've adjusted the pivot and lubricated it. I think you've just encountered a particularly zealous customs officer.

Either that or he liked it and took it home...
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:23 AM Reply
    Coincidentally I've just had sku.48330 confiscated by the UK Border Agency for being a Gravity Knife. LOL, that's my second confiscation in a year. I wonder if they operate a "three strikes and you're screwed" policy...

• deano555 Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:30 PM Reply
    I have been told by Customs Australia any knife you can open with one hand, ie has a thumb stud is now considered a flick knife and will be confiscated.
    I have had 3 parcels opened and confiscated this year.
    Posts(7) | Reviews | Tip post

• carfive Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:26 PM Reply
    Yep I just lost one to AU customs is there any way DX could just tighten the pivot nut adjustment as tight as possible as this would solve all the problems with the tards in customs seizing these on a whim !!!!!! we can always loosen them after they arrive .

pleeeeeeeeeeease.............
    Posts(14) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:56 PM Reply
    @gregwalton I didn't know spring tension was a form of gravity.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• drbadger Monday, January 24, 2011 8:28 PM Reply
    After talking to Aust Customs, apparently they are going to change their policy, so that it won't count as a flick knife if you can complete the opening of the blade with a flick of the wrist after pushing it slightly open with the thumb stud (the current policy). Only ones with blades that open all the way with a flick or gravity will be seized. However no detail on when this new policy will come in yet.
    Posts(30) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:38 AM Reply
    @frills Now this knife is confirmed as assisted I can be pretty sure UK Customs are just dicking me about. The trouble is that they don't really know the law and yet they are set up, for most practical purposes, as a law unto themselves - no real accountability as they won't accept appeals unless they come through a lawyer, which is a bit excessive for a £5 knife.

What's really annoying is that, if Customs are still like they were 30 years ago, that knife will probably end up being sold to some teenager in a dodgy pub somewhere.

Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere