Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Successful Firmware Update Method + Recovering

• GeminiMark Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:10 PM Reply
    For best results and before you begin (updated NOV 2011 w/new download link):
    - Know that the the camera is a Foscam FI8908W
    - The biggest advantages to updating firmware is camera viewing in Chrome, Firefox, etc., way faster Pan/Tilt, and Preset Positions. If you don't have a need for these features, then don't risk updating firmware. Out of the box, you can view your camera on your Android Phone using IP Cam Viewer Lite, just make sure you specify it's a Foscam FI8908W in the app.
    - Disconnect all other cameras on your network
    - Connect your camera by ethernet cable only to your network - do not use wireless for firmware updating!
    - Always update firmware and web UI one after the other, never skipping over any firmware updates unless outlined below - this means you will be performing EIGHT or MORE total firmware updates/reboots.
    - Always make sure after every firmware and every Web UI update, IPCam Tools (see below) can connect to the camera along with the camera's web interface in Internet Explorer.
    - Firmware updates can either be done via the IPCam Tools or via the camera's web interface, however, if there is a problem with the Web UI, the IPCam Tools must be used. Most people recommend using the IPCam Tools.
    - Firmware files are all '.bin' files. System/Device Firmware files looks like this: lr_cmos_11_14_2_28.bin and Embedded Web UI files look like this: 2.4.8.15.bin
    - Save time and don't bother changing any passwords or network settings until all firmware updates are complete.
    - This process will take HOURS - it took me 3 hours, as I had an issue with a software conflict and then the loss of the Web UI firmware after a device firmware update - IPCam Tools can detect this and help you upload missing Web UI firmware.

1. Download the latest IPCam Tools and firmware packages here: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdj87xnvmxnc2tq - This one .zip download includes all files needed.

2. Unzip all files in the foscam.zip file to a folder on your computer.

3. Install IPCam Tools from the unzipped folder. After installing IPCam Tools, reboot your computer, then run IPCam Tools (On windows XP, it will install to C:\WINDOWS\system32\IPCamera.exe) - Note that other webcam software can interfere with this software - remove all other webcam software if you have problems. Always make sure IPCam Tools can connect to your camera before performing each and every firmware update!

4. Make sure you can successfully connect to your camera's IP address using only Internet Explorer by using the web address displayed by the IPCam Tools (usually http://192.168.1.3 or something similar).

5. Connect to camera and determine your System firmware version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 11.14.1.32 (your camera should have shipped with later firmware), then update to newer version 11.14.1.34 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) by right-clicking camera in IPCam Tools and selecting Upgrade System Firmware -or- the Upgrade Device Firmware Under the "For Administrators" column in the Upgrade Device Firmware link on the camera's web interface. Allow the camera to reboot and perform it's complete pan/tilt startup sequence until it stops.

6. Connect to camera and determine your Embedded Web UI version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 2.4.8.8 or lower, then update to version 2.4.8.9 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) by right-clicking camera in IPCam Tools and selecting Upgrade Web UI Firmware -or- the Upgrade Embeded Web UI Under the "For Administrators" column in the Upgrade Device Firmware link on the camera's web interface. Allow the camera to reboot and perform it's complete pan/tilt startup sequence until it stops.

7. Connect to camera and determine your System firmware version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 11.14.1.34, then update to newer version 11.14.1.42 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) by right-clicking camera in IPCam Tools and selecting Upgrade System Firmware -or- the Upgrade Device Firmware Under the "For Administrators" column in the Upgrade Device Firmware link on the camera's web interface. Allow the camera to reboot and perform it's complete pan/tilt startup sequence until it stops.

8. Connect to camera and determine your Embedded Web UI version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 2.4.8.9, then update to newer version 2.4.8.11 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) by right-clicking camera in IPCam Tools and selecting Upgrade Web UI Firmware -or- the Upgrade Embeded Web UI Under the "For Administrators" column in the Upgrade Device Firmware link on the camera's web interface. Allow the camera to reboot and perform it's complete pan/tilt startup sequence until it stops.

9. Connect to camera and determine your System firmware version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 11.14.1.42, then skip firmware version 11.14.1.43 and update to newer version 11.14.1.46 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) as explained in previous steps. Allow the camera to fully reboot and reset as explained in previous steps.

10. Connect to camera and determine your Embedded Web UI version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 2.4.8.11, then update to newer version 2.4.8.12 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) as explained in previous steps. Allow the camera to fully reboot and reset as explained in previous steps.

11. Connect to camera and determine your System firmware version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 11.14.1.46, then update to newer version 11.14.2.17 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) as explained in previous steps. Allow the camera to fully reboot and reset as explained in previous steps.

12. Connect to camera and determine your Embedded Web UI version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 2.4.8.12, then update to newer version 2.4.8.14 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) as explained in previous steps. Allow the camera to fully reboot and reset as explained in previous steps.

13. Connect to camera and determine your System firmware version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 11.14.2.17, then update to newer version 11.14.2.28 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) as explained in previous steps. Allow the camera to fully reboot and reset as explained in previous steps.

14. Connect to camera and determine your Embedded Web UI version using the camera's web page or IPCam Tools. If at version 2.4.8.14, then update to newer version 2.4.8.15 (skip to next step if you are at this version or a higher version already) as explained in previous steps. Allow the camera to fully reboot and reset as explained in previous steps.

Have Fun!
    Posts(11) | Reviews | Tip post(12)

mod edited by LAL on 7/18/2012 at 12:19 PM
  • Fking1 Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:38 PM Reply
    [Update 05/Nov/2011]

Latest Firmware

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdj87xnvmxnc2tq

Recovering FOSCAM IP camera from errors

===> http://club.dx.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.1153357?page=4
    Posts(7) | Reviews | Tip post

• Fking1 Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:51 PM Reply
    I went ahead and upgraded straight to 11.14.2.17 as said in another thread (to save time), but after the restart it never started again. Just hangs there with the green LED constantly on. Restart from the button, doesn't change anything. When unplugged and re-plugged in the AC, it takes few seconds and the green led lights again and stays like that.
    IP Camera Tool DOESN'T see anything.
    I was with the 0.23.2.5 firmware before that.

Did i just brick my camera?
    Posts(7) | Reviews | Tip post

• smmusti Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:18 AM Reply
    it seems you have bricked your camera.
    I used below method to bring back my cam, but still cannot upgrade web ui. İt stacked at version 0.0.0.0

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-fhlaHWNI2gJ:www.gadgetvictims.com/2009/12/bring-your-fi8908w-paperweight-back-to.html+gadgetvictims+bring+back&cd=1&hl=tr&ct=clnk&gl=tr&client=firefox-a
    Posts(4) | Reviews | Tip post

• NoEspen Monday, January 03, 2011 10:34 AM Reply
    I used this method to upgrade my cam, worked fine but i can't get it to work in IE :p
    Not a big problem, but what have i done wrong?
    I'm using W7 x64..
    Posts(4) | Reviews | Tip post

• mpassos Monday, January 03, 2011 7:12 PM Reply
    My IPCAM successfully updated using the method indicated.
    Thank you so much!
    Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• Mikaelft Thursday, January 06, 2011 11:53 AM Reply
    Thank you so much!!
    But how to get it work with WebcamXP? The picture is frozen, I can adjust pan/tilt
    Posts(27) | Reviews | Tip post

• Boxasni Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:42 PM Reply
    I used this method and it worked for me but the "audio" and "microphone" buttons are gone, and also the ability to record video, only "snapshot" now :(
    Posts(3) | Reviews | Tip post

• Mikaelft Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:01 PM Reply
    How can I have a webinterface that works for both firefox and explorer? I want to buypass the login and allow users to pan/tilt the cam.
    Posts(27) | Reviews | Tip post

• Israphel Friday, January 28, 2011 1:32 PM Reply
    This works great! I'm now on the last version and I can control de camera with Chrome.
    Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 13
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere