Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

You know what I want?

• Hupplehop Friday, January 21, 2011 4:09 PM Reply
    Okay, so heres the truth. Sure, DX makes OK knives, but when I have to carry around a knife around every day, I don't want cheesy fake logo's, wiggly pocket clips, and soft, stripped screws. All of these can be overlooked, however, if the blade was not made of soft stainless. I would rather pay 10X the price (or more) to get a blade with good steel and decent heat treating that allows the blade to stay sharp. I'm not exactly insulting DX knives, but the edge wears away pretty quickly. Therefore, (for me, at least) I would rather buy say, a Spyderco Manix, over a $10 DX knife. Yes, it's not the case for all of you guys out there.
    But you know what soft stainless steel is good for? One-piece throwing knives.
    I would love to see some sets of nice throwing knives (like Gil hibben Jack rippers) on DX.
    What do you think?
    Posts(49) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:19 AM Reply
    Just a note: DX is a wholesaler and doesn't actually manufacture anything. So if you can find a HK/China manufacturer that makes something you want, you can request that DX carry their products.

While I do like me some BG-42 and S30V, I have to admit that there are benefits to softer stainless. There's no single perfect steel for all applications. Softer stainless has less tendency to chip and is easy to sharpen, especially in the field with simple or improvised tools. If I hit a nail or metal strap with some 440C, the edge rolls and can either be honed or ground back out in no time (Also I'm a lot less worried about damage to cheap stainless than one of my expensive Benchmades). When I had that happen to an S30V blade, it bit right into the edge and split a chip off that required four sharpening sessions to grind out. I was not a happy camper.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:46 AM Reply
    If you browse some "Made in China" websites and find a Chinese manufacturer of cheap throwing knives you can then suggest them to DX. Just Google for stainless steel throwing knife and you'll probably find something.
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• Duster Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:50 AM Reply
    SanRenmu has great knives, great prices and use 8Cr13MoV at least.

DX, it's time to wake up...
    Posts(1069) | Reviews | Tip post

• Hupplehop Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:34 PM Reply
    SanRenmu has great knives, great prices and use 8Cr13MoV at least.

DX, it's time to wake up...

+100
    Posts(49) | Reviews | Tip post

• Raniak Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:39 PM Reply
    Yes, the metal is not the hardest in the world. It still last good enough for camping use (Chopping wood, making tinder, gutting fishes, using my etc.). And if the steel lose its edge? Well, I simply take my pocket whetstone out of my pocket and sharpen it in less than 5 minutes.

All of that with a 5$ knife.

Does the job well enough for me.
    Posts(99) | Reviews | Tip post

• SpeedBoy Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:24 PM Reply
    I think this is SanRenmu

sku33983
    Posts(27) | Reviews | Tip post

Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere