Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

So are these safe for laptop battery packs?

• mohammedf Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:26 AM Reply
    I have read a lot of information about Li ion batterys, 18650 battery's, protection circuit, etc.

Now I want to know, are these 18650 Li ion batterys, if used properly and correctly, SAFE to be used with laptop battery packs?

My laptop has a nominal voltage of 11.1V, 56Wh. It has 6x 18650 cell batterys, 3 in series, each with 2 connected parallel.

Please don't give a noobish response as: "I recommand the protected ones", because they are very bad and will only mess up my battery pack.

One of the reasons I am opening this topic is because I am buying a battery from China to use it in my quite new €500 Dell Vostro 3500. (don't send a response about waranty or to buy a new battery pack)
    Posts(110) | Reviews | Tip post

• Leodahsan Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:37 PM Reply
    I think they will work, as the protection circuit will screw the whole thing.
    make sure you have the laptop battery controller intact..
    If this post was really useable to you, why don't you give me some DX
    points? :)
    Posts(318) | Reviews | Tip post

• lcys73 Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:26 PM Reply
    I using this type inside in my laptop about 40 days ago and they work fine.My only complain would be that they can keep running my laptop for about 1H20Min and not 2-3 hours like the original did. But if you take a look at the price you realize it's a good deal. If you would need longer running time I suggest to go with the blue unprotected 18650 cels as they are stronger and of course a little bit more expensive..

So yes I would say with PROPER replaiceing they are SAFE in the laptop as you gonna use the same protection cicruit wich you have in your battery pack currently [ sorry for my bad English ]
    Posts(24) | Reviews | Tip post

• tobixen Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:15 AM Reply
    I suppose it's a reason why it's called "TrustFire" - you can trust those cells to catch fire? ;-)

Most sites describing how to replace the cells in a battery laptop pack recommends that you shouldn't do it unless you really know what you're doing ... and the battery packs are also labelled with "do not open" and glued tight to make them hard to open, I suppose it's not without a reason. And there have even been stories where original branded battery has caught fire. It's quite nasty from what I've heard ... it would be really bad to have the laptop in the lap if such a thing happens, or have the laptop unattended, or in a glass fibre boat.

Then again, laptop batteries exploding or catching fire is really happening rarely. I'd say, be careful, check the polarity, make sure you do everything right, turn off the equipment and disconnect the battery pack if the battery pack becomes hot, and the risk of battery catching fire is probably lower than the risk of being hit in a traffic accident - even when using TrustFire.

That said again, I failed to rebuild my own laptop battery pack - the TrustFires were a little bit too long, and it also seems like the problem with the battery pack was in the electronics, not in the cells themselves.
    Posts(51) | Reviews | Tip post

• lcys73 Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:20 AM Reply
    I know that if you have a newer 2-3 years old laptop you can have a firmware witch if sensing 0 volt [ you removed the cells ] you can't reinitialize the battery unless you change the firmware, otherwise the new battery will be not recognize and charged...
    I did managed to change the battery pack in my laptop but now I have a different problem: 2 of the 6 battery died in 90 days [ I was discharged maybe 40-50 time not totally all the time ] When I took out and tested them I found >900 mAh out of 2150 mAh so they are pretty dead..
    I used the blue unprotected cells [ SKU 6979 ] not the gray ones since when I tried the gray ones I got 1H20 min running time in my laptop.
    The blue ones gave me an impressive 2H20 min running time under same condition but only for 90 days... Now I will change the dead ones than we will see.....
    Posts(24) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere