Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Only 75% of OEM power - compatibility?

• CoryV Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:42 AM Reply
    The original Dell PA-10 delivers 19.5 V= @ 4.62 A; I doubt if this unit is capable to provide enough current to simultaneously power and charge for example a docked D-series Latitude.

This power supply has one advantage, though: a normal 3-pin plug instead of the U-shaped original - that cable is always a bit crooked when laid out in full length...
    Posts(82) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by CoryV on 2/9/2011 at 2:40 PM
  • mariusg1 Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:30 AM Reply
    You have a good point with the maximum current, Cory.

On the back sticker of my Dell laptop it says 3.34A/4.62A; I wish I could measure what is the actual current drawn by my Dell.

Still, I think that I will take the chance and buy the staff; someone has to be the first, doesn't it?
    Posts(17) | Reviews | Tip post

• mariusg1 Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:13 AM Reply
    Well, I tried … and I failed.
    This power supply does NOTwork well, despite the manufacturer’s saying that the power supply is Compatible with Dell 7.4mm tip laptops. As a fact, compatible it is not.
    When connecting the power supply, the laptop system displays an error message saying that the system will operate slower and that the battery ill not charge - and so indeed happens: the laptop does work slow and the battery does not charge.
    I wrote a review detailing this and other drawbacks, and I intend to return the power supply to DX.
    To the readers, I definitely recommend NOT to buy this power supply.
    Posts(17) | Reviews | Tip post

• tolerant2 Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:39 AM Reply
    The one I got works for me with a laptop (Inspiron D9400) that originally had a power supply marked as 4.62A. Dell has this stupid power supply detection signalling system that relies on the hair-thin center conductor in the power supply cable, and this connector can fail inside the laptop as well as in the power supply cable. So it may be that the connector in your laptop is actually faulty, or it just expects a different detection signal from the power supply.

Posts(544) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere