Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Modes

• Duster Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:46 PM Reply
    Damn...another 5 modes. This or a 1 mode only. Nice choice.

Is it that hard to understand that what we need and want the most is a 3 mode flashlight?

Hi > Mid > Lo

That's it.

BTW, today's rant I guess. ;)
    Posts(1069) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:28 PM Reply
    And lots of people want strobe, too. 5-mode hi/mid/low/fast strobe/sos is the best compromise. You can't please everybody.

Have you checked out the programmable drop-ins?
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• TheDTrain Monday, February 14, 2011 9:56 AM Reply
    Maybe there is a way to tune it to a 3 or a 1-mode. Actually I like the modes. The slow strobe (or blinking), if available, can be useful when walking alongside of a street, as a signal for traffic that passes by. - The fast strobe really needs a dedicated switch. The fast strobe is a tactical thing, and when you need it, you cannot step through the various modes.

I kind of like this flashlight (I dig it :) ).
    I don't know about the clip though. Is it detachable?
    Any opinions on the XM-LT6 emitter?
    Posts(121) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by TheDTrain on 2/14/2011 at 9:59 AM
  • MrPontus Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:05 AM Reply
    who needs SOS? all these modes make me angry, first impression might be "WOW 5 modes" strobe is not verry usefull, all the trubble and time to have to always cycle the modes is not worth the trouble for haveing all these modes when you maybe only once in a year need strobe, or maybe only to try to be cool among your friends (fail)

2-mode is best for me (High > Low)
    Posts(72) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:42 AM Reply
    The clip on the various WF-502B models is mounted using a couple of screws, which you can unscrew for removal.

It wouldn't take much for manufacturers to program multiple mode groups into their products so that the end user can select an arrangement of modes appropriate for themselves. For that matter it wouldn't take much to make them user-programmable. It's not like the firmware would cost anything to replicate.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• TheDTrain Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:48 AM Reply
    THX for the reply. I'm not sure about the clip thingy, as far as being useful for me. I kind of like the 502 casing. A little more beef than the UniqueFire S10, but still compact. And a substantial power supply.

I thought about programmable flashlights too. Where you could unscrew the top, hook it up via USB, and then make your own modes. I would have a ball with a little application, to create my own crazy patterns. :)

Switching between mode-groups is a good idea too. I've seen a part for a flashlight, here at DX, that has this feature. Hold down the button for some time (or something like that), and you get to the next group. It could be a group for hi/mid/low, or one with all the patterns.

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:54 AM Reply
    There are a bunch of programmable lights on the market, but they don't actually hook up to a computer. They allow you to set the modes right on the light by interacting with the switch.

Instead of selecting mode groups, you set each individual mode. Usually by triggering a hidden programming mode and then cycling through all the modes the light is capable of to select one, which the light then commits to memory.

• TheDTrain Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:31 AM Reply
    The programmable flashlight that can be hooked up to a computer, is something I'm still waiting for. Combined with an application to program modes/patterns/groups; it would be great. It could have effects like fade in and fade out (instead of on/off) too. There seems to be a whole Tuner-Scene for the hardware, so, tweaking the software is just waiting to happen.

I know, the "PC-programmable-flashlight" is much to ask. It would take an effort from the manufacturer. That's why (factory made) mode-groups, as an alternative, totally make sense.

With mode-groups, Duster could have the hi/mid/low and nothing else, and other people could choose the whole plethora of modes, if they wanted to.

Mode-groups would solve the fast-strobe issue too, by having one group with just hi/strobe. As law enforcement, you have to be able to get to the strobe initially, there is no time to fuzz around.

BTW: Last-mode-memory that is applied instantly (maybe 5 seconds), should be a given. In any flashlight.

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:59 PM Reply
    Technically you can program these mode ICs already on a chip programmer like the manufacturer would have, or even a custom wired serial port if you want to get creative. It's just extremely inconvenient to do so.

Also I hear what you're saying about mode memory as I've got a light with a 2-minute memory. I would have preferred either immediate memorization or no memory at all.

• TheDTrain Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:57 AM Reply
    Yeah well, two minutes, that's ridiculous. It's like, you have to go on a trip for the memory to kick in. Useless.

I have the UltraFire K10 that has a "memory" like that. In a run-through I wrote about the light, I considered it; having no memory. Later, somebody else wrote a test and explained the waiting period of the "memory." I still consider it having no memory. Cause waiting for it, is just missing the point.

I love those little flashlights. The UniqueFire S10 and even the UltraFire K10 (with it's little flaws).

Bottom line: The mode-groups you suggested in your first post, are the solution for many issues. Combined with a few points I made, it would be really good. I could see a selection like...

Hi
    Hi/Mid/Lo
    Hi/Fast Strobe
    Hi/Mid/Lo/Fast Strobe/Slow Strobe/SOS

And of course a memory that kicks in initially, after a few seconds.

post edited by TheDTrain on 2/17/2011 at 12:01 PM
Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere