Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

Knife can move a bit when opened up. Is this bad?

• Ihave2cats Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:18 AM Reply
    Hi everyone.

I have a 5 knives in total and 3 of them can move a little bit when they're open.
    Is this bad? Can it break or something? Let's say I would stab a plank really hard, could it break? Or is it normal that it can move?

Thanks everyone.
    Posts(142) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ihave2cats Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:56 AM Reply
    Yea, that's what I meant. Wrote my first message just after I woke up, so couldn't really find the proper words...
    2 of my 3 knives with this problem have screws. The other one has some type of pins with a smooth surface, so I can't tighten those as far as I know.

Any idea if this is a problem with my knives and if so, how can I fix it?

Thanks.

PS, I'm currently ordering stuff from dealextreme, so if anyone has any suggestion on a certain tool that can tighten multiple types of screws and bolts or something, that would be much appreciated =].
    Posts(142) | Reviews | Tip post

• flashin Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:54 PM Reply
    don't stab at a plank really hard and you'll be fine.

you need to have a variety of tools

torx bit
    flathead screwdriver
    phillips head, or plus head screwdriver
    allen or hex head wrench

and

for those pivot screws with the multiple holes use the tips of a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten it.
    Howdy from Ohio!

(john 3:15-18)
    Posts(8054) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, March 4, 2011 1:57 AM Reply
    A tiny bit of play in the blade when locked open isn't catastrophic. A lot of play to the point where it's flopping around in use would be bad, though.

Side-to-side blade play can be fixed by tightening the pivot, while there's not really anything you can do about blade play up & down.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• domojx Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:05 PM Reply
    Its just a tiny bit of blade play. A lot of knives has it too. Just dont go choppin' down trees with it and u should be fine. LOL
    Posts(1) | Reviews | Tip post

Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere