Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

Does this look like a good knife? Hollow handle.

• Ihave2cats Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:45 AM Reply
    Hey eveyone.

I was browsing for a good survival knife and I ran across this one.

http://i52.tinypic.com/30d9ull.jpg
    img src: http://i52.tinypic.com/30d9ull.jpg

Overall length is 40cm.

It seems good to me (untrained eye + lack of experience/knowledge), but I was wondering why it would be so cheap compared to other knives with similar traits, so I thought maybe it's weak and could easily break somehow or something. Can anyone tell just by looking at it?

Thanks everyone.

Posts(142) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Ihave2cats on 3/15/2011 at 2:36 PM
  • gregwalton Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:42 AM Reply
    I've seen similar knives at surprisingly low prices and what has put me off has been the blade steel - at best it is given as 420 stainless. If you really want to use a survival knife... AND survive... then you are probably going to want something really tough. It's not a time to be skimping on cost.

On the other hand if you just want a big scary-looking knife why worry about its strength?

If you want a cheap knife which is useful for camping have a look at sku.33987. I have two which I've used for cutting tent pegs and hacking back briars and they are remarkably good. They're not as strong as a decent fixed blade knife but they are incredible value for money.

Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• UltraMagnus Monday, April 11, 2011 12:50 PM Reply
    The obvious lack of a proper tang on a knife like that would worry me. Why not just carry a real knife and a capsule with the other crap in.
    Posts(329) | Reviews | Tip post

Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere