Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

Knife Seized by Customs (UK)

• Hyster Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:11 AM Reply
    I bought a few items a few weeks ago including this knife. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/steel-folding-knife-black-5861

Today I picked up a package from the post office, The other items are there but no knife.
    There is a letter enclosed stating that the knife has been seized by customs because its a gravity knife? I'm assuming thats some sort of spring assist to opening the knife, like a flick knife?

Am I missing something here? where does it say in the description its a gravity knife, pleas excuse the noob question but I have no confidence buying a replacement if it will just be siezed again.

Which knives are ok to buy and ship to the uk?

Cheers for reading.

Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• reaper Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:14 AM Reply
    I've just got my butterfly knife (Gravity knife) and spring assisted knives and the small switchblades all from this site without a problem from customs (They opened it, they just let it through though)
    I guess you just got unlucky. >.<
    Posts(30) | Reviews | Tip post

• Leonardob0880 Saturday, June 4, 2011 9:48 AM Reply
    yeap just unluky

some people reported seized knifes from uk, not necesarelly gravity ones
    Posts(9287) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Friday, July 22, 2011 4:46 AM Reply
    UK Customs don't know what different types of knife are so they are pretty random with what they confiscate. If it's anything like it used to be 20-30 years ago then it's probably more likely that they just confiscate ones they like or ones they think they can resell, but you'd hope they are more regulated than they used to be.

It does seem that once you've had one knife stopped from DX they will scrutinize every order you make from then on. I had a knife stopped and every other knife I've ordered from DX, apart from one, has been confiscated for being a gravity knife. I think they use that excuse because there is no proper definition of a gravity knife.

Oh, and there is no realistic route for appealing their stupid decisions.
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• stanj028 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:11 PM Reply
    A Gravity assisted knife is any knife which contains a blade within its handle which can be opened by gravity (so does not have a catch to stop the blade opening) which seems rediculas considering the one you bought appears to have a catch? :S
    Posts(10) | Reviews | Tip post

• securitas88 Friday, August 5, 2011 9:56 AM Reply
    The act is The Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/7-8/37/section/1

Basically, the use subsection (1)(b) to seize whatever lock knife they don't like the look of. I'm not too sure what centrifugal force would cover but I imagine that they use its definition quite liberally.

Is there not a way you can appeal and get your knife back/compensation?
    Posts(6) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Monday, August 22, 2011 1:38 AM Reply
    I've just successfully ordered a belt buckle knife from DX's UK warehouse. So I can order a completely illegal stealth knife imported by DX, but I can't import a completely legal (to own, if not to carry) assisted-opening knife from DX in Hong Kong! How random are our Customs?
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• securitas88 Monday, August 22, 2011 11:21 AM Reply
    Although it sounds weird, I don't think that you have even broken the law. It's not illegal to own or buy prohibited knives & weapons (except firearms) but it is illegal to sell, import (incl. buying from abroad over internet) or manufacture them.
    Posts(6) | Reviews | Tip post

• __EssexMan__ Sunday, October 9, 2011 7:15 AM Reply
    Can of worms you've openned here!

UKBA know exactly what they are doing. There def of a gravity knife is simple. There's a test, some known it as the "spyderco drop". They will try to flick the knife open with a conbined arm and wrist movement. If the knife opens that way it is deemed a gravity knife. Goodbye imported knife.

They have even used the same method on slipjoint that don't lock, yes UK legal EDCs have been taken by UKBA. Daft as it sounds, they can get away with it as it would cost you too much to fight.

If you want to read more go and join britishblades.com and search.

We are not the only people having these types of rules applied, our friends down under have similar problems, as do our freinds in NY city.

To cut a long story short, if you import a folding knife that can be flicked open in the UK you take the risk of it being seized by customs/UKBA.

Best bet is to stick with heinnie's and support your local knive seller.
    Posts(101) | Reviews | Tip post

• souljor Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:41 AM Reply
    can anyone tell me what is the longest legal blade size in the UK for a FIXED blade knife? i've read through all kinds of stuff but can't get a definite answer on this one.

also, i had a DX knife confiscated by customs last year. they claimed it was a gravity knife too... it wasn't supposed to be but i guess the pivot was loose. what f*cked me off the most was that they confiscated everything else in the package too, a nice padded camera bag for my girlfriend, a tripod and a pair of speakers. no real way to get any of it back without going to a civil court.

now i order everything in seperate parcels, and get knives etc delivered to my parents address. i've had a few knives come through since the confiscated one without problems. moving house in a few weeks time so it'll be a clean slate again :-)
    Posts(1055) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere