• 1 star 1 ( 7% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Terrible, very soft steel

posted by Simonetti2010 on 09/29/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

None. There are no pros for this product, because it doesn`t do what it is supposed to. Keep reading.

Cons:

Here we go! I got this cutter as a tool for my home bike repair shop. I meant it for cutting gear cables (steel, 1.2 mm) and gear cable housing (that contains a protective mesh of very thin steel cables).
    The first time I tried this cutter to cut a Shimano SIS-41 gear cable housing, the tool got dented, and not it won`t cut anything. So, I was only able to use it once.
    When I tried cutting gear cables in the thinner part of the tool, it also got dented.

OtherThoughts:

This tool is really made of steel, but it is VERY SOFT steel. It should be make of hardened steel, so it wouldn`t get dented so easily.
    Also. the join that holds the 2 handles together is very fragile. It got loose on the first time I tried to use the too to cut the gear cable housing.

Bottomline:

The bottomline is: DON`T BUY THIS. I ended up buying a Park Tool cable cutter, which goes through steel cables like a hot knife on butter.
    Get something better, pay a little more, but don`t get this.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections