• 1 star 1 ( 50% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Useless junk, I'm afraid. ):

posted by bahjort on 09/17/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

A portable router with a fully controllable Linux system in your pocket is a really good idea. The ethernet plug makes a great value addition compared to other wireless-only tethering gadgets.

Cons:

Even in the mild scandinavian climate I live in, i.e. about +20°C, the router overheats in less than an hour. When this happens it turns itself off & is impossible to turn back on before it has cooled down. What's worse; Although I tried fairly hard & hold an electrical engineering degree, I never got the 3g connection working on the firmware the router was delivered with.

OtherThoughts:

I bought this router since it claimed to be able to run dd-wrt. Yet, it's impossible to find any info at the dd-wrt website. Telnet was however enabled by default & moving files onto the router using a µsdhc card is easy. I did plan to setup a cross-compiler & make use of the thing, but not after I realized how severe the overheating problem really is. Now I don't feel it worth putting in the work required for it.

Bottomline:

Unless you have very easily satisfied demands (such as liking to look at flashing leds), this is likely $68 down the drain. If you're lucky, the thing might work for quickly checking your mail.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections