Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Impressive accuracy

posted by 66JXXJ on 11/30/2008
    0 0

Involvement:Novice (still getting used to it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

I think this scale is excellent for those who only need to weigh less than 20 grams at the time. I have not experienced any sign of the 0,001 step by step increase on readout. In my experience the scale give a consistent readout. The small 0,001 fluctuations I have noticed on a few occasions may just as well be bacause of draft or similar. (The scale comes with a clear plastic lid but I have never bothered to close it when using the scale.

Ihe scale stays calibrated even after it has been moved. I havent lugged it around much, but I have moved it from my desk to a shelf, put it in the box and placed it in a drawer and back again several times and it still stays calibrated.

Cons:

I wish there were some way to transport the tare together with the scale without having to bring along the cardboard box. The scale comes with a fake leather protective cover for protection when transported and the calibration weight can be placed in a hole were it stays in place, but the tare is left to rattle around inside the plastic cover of the scale.

OtherThoughts:

I own a small set of calibration weights with weights ranging from 10 mg (1/100 g) to 100 g. It's a very cheap set that is not certified in in any way and I don't expect them to be up to the standards of professional calibration weights. I had never had the opportunity to test these weights before I bought this digital scale, so it was just as much a test of the weights as it was of the digital scale. I figured that the scale with a 0,001 resolution and the wide range of weights would give me a fairly good idea on the accurracy of both.

I used the 10g weight that came with the scale to calibrate the scale before I started the test. I used the weights in the 10 mg-20g range as that is the max load for the scale. Below are the results I got. First column is the weight used and the second is what the scale read.

10 mg - 0,010

20 mg - 0,020 I've got 2x 20 mg weights

20 mg - 0,020

50 mg - 0,052

100 mg - 0,100

200 mg - 0,200

200 mg - 0,200

500 mg - 0,500

OMG. Apart from the 50 mg weight the results from the mg weights were spot on. I did the test several times with all the weights in different order. A few times the read on the scale fluctuated a little above or below the supposed weight, but never more than +/- 0,002. As i repeated the test several times, the results for the most part turned out to be correct to the third decimal. I also weighed all the mg weights together and the result for the combined weight of these were 1,101, just +0,001 above what it should be. Finally I again weghed the 10g weight that was included and the scale stiil read a perfect 10,000.

The results from the 1g-20g were a little more off but it's hard for me to judge if that's because of the weights used or because of the scale.

1 g - 0,985

2 g - 2,001 I lost the other 2g.

5 g - 4,991

10 g - 9,978

20 g - 19,961 2x 20g also

20 g - 19,962

Bottomline:

I think this is a excellent buy. I recommend this to anyone that get a kick out of weighing stuff down to 0,001 g for whatevever practical purpose they can think of. I'm not sure this scale will last you a lifetime if you carry it with you at all times though. It's a delicate instrument and should be handled with care.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections