Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Good light, but not fantastic

posted by only8vgti on 02/03/2008
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

First off, this light is exactly what it is portrayed to be - an inexpensive, portable UV LED light that fluoresces various UV reactive materials. It accepts 18650 cells as well as CR123As. In fact, I am running it right now on two CR123A cells that will not illuminate the 6v incandescent in my Surefire G2. The textured reflector provides for an even beam with a distinctive hot spot that throws well across a darkened room.

Cons:

The UV light output seems to dwindle as the wavelength drops below 365 or 375nm. The build quality is good, but not great, and the LED is slightly off center in the reflector. The clip can be difficult to open enough to get over the material of a pocket.

OtherThoughts:

This is the least expensive UV light I have found available that provides a reasonably powerful beam (versus a fluorescent tube-type black light from a discount store) in a portable package. The switch is a reverse-clicky, and I feel it is well suited to this application - who needs a tactical switch on a niche light? The light feels solid when assembled, but disassembly and interior inspection shows machining marks and poor cutting on the threads. On the plus side, the light is sealed with o-rings, and was not glued shut. The UV module is compatible with a Surefire P60 module, and should fit in nearly any light that uses this type of upgrade.

Bottomline:

I am glad I purchased this light, and would recommend it to anyone that needs a handheld UV source. It is not, however, going to replace specialized lights that have higher output in the 350-365nm range.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections