Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Great Item (if you don't expect too much for $16)

posted by Crashsite on 01/05/2009
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

For about $16 ($18 and change when I bought it), the EasyCAP is an excellent bargain for those who just want to display up to 4 video cameras plus an audio channel and have some sort of capture capability for both the video and still pictures. It also provides a time stamp and a user customizable channel identifier. The EasyCAP also includes both video signal loss and motion alarms that actually work very well (and have adjustable sensitivity).

Cons:

This product suffers the same shortcomings as most products of this nature. The hardware is excellent but, the software package is weak. The EasyCAP connects easily to both the computer and video/audio devices. The software basically does its job but, is poorly thought out and tested. As a result, beyond doing the basic tasks, the software either doesn't support what you want to do or its features simply don't work.

One feature that's touted but does not work is the e-mail notification feature. I can't get it to connect to my ISP's mail server (I use a local ISP rather than one of the internet big boys so, it should work).

The user guide is okay for the initial setup but is essentially worthless for explaining usage of the EasyCAP. It does little more than parrot the words you can see in the various panels on the screen.

OtherThoughts:

Unless someone can track down, kidnap and chain, zhong kai ran to a desk and convince him(?) to continue refining the software, I suspect it will never improve. The software has the look and feel of a quickie, contract job by some free-lance programmer or perhaps a computer science major doing a side job for tuition. There are even typos in the software seen on the screen and the usual "Asian English" we've become resigned to.

Bottomline:

Is anybody out there continuing to update and support this fine little piece of hardware with some better and more useful software?

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections