• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Get a Grip

posted by JHM64 on 02/10/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Very well engineered, top marks for build quality and finish. Externally every detail matches the original; apart from the branding you really cannot tell the difference. The BP-D11 fits perfectly on the D7000 camera, both mechanically and functionally. The camera instantly recognizes the battery grip (as if it were an original MD-D11) as soon as you connect it. All the function buttons work flawlessly. It really is a useful asset for the D7000. I especially value the extra battery capacity it can provide, as the camera’s own battery can get drained quite fast when using VR (OS) lenses. Having two battery trays for either EN-EL15 or AA-size batteries is great as well. I recommend using low self-discharge NiMH AA batteries; they may cost a little bit more than standard NiMH’s but will not let you down when you need them.

Cons:

Some of the buttons/controllers lack the sophisticated “feel” of those on the camera itself, thus revealing that they are probably of a somewhat cheaper construction. This especially applies to the front control wheel, whereas the rear control wheel is much better.

I had one issue where the camera reported a general error before shutting down completely. I could only fix this by removing the battery pack. It turned out to be caused by the AA-batteries being totally empty and, although being programmed to do so, the camera failing to switch to the (fully charged) camera battery. After doing some research I conclude that this is probably a camera firmware bug, as it has also occurred to OEM MB-D11 owners. Hence it is probably not attributed to the BP-D11.

In the AA-battery drawer, I found that a sharp, burry edge in the lower two battery recesses caused damage to the battery sleeves. I posted a picture to explain exactly what I mean. You can break this sharp edge with a knife or with sanding paper; this solves the problem.

OtherThoughts:

The manufacturer and DX should emphasize more that this item is not just made of plastic. There are several metal parts on it, most notably an internal steel plate “backbone”. This makes sure that you can mount this thing to a tripod without worrying about the mechanical loads caused by the camera and lens working on that single ¼” thread. Although not made of Magnesium like the OEM product, it is still a safe and rugged design.

Bottomline:

At less than one fifth of the price of the OEM product (MB-D11), this thing really is amazing value! It is definitely not some cheapo ripoff. Highly recommended.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections