DX » Community » Reviews » USB to MIDI Cable with 16 MIDI Input/Output Channels (1.8-Meter)
  • 5 star 41 ( 77% )
  • 4 star 11 ( 21% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• AWESOME CABLE!

posted by hotdogs+is+good on 11/20/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Great MIDI cable (input, anyways)

No real latency notice- it is a uniform latency max 100ms that you don't notice because its all the same (see other thoughts)

Nice flashy amber MIDI in LED

Bright blue MIDI out (no real out tested only the light)

Works with my lame $60 AUD ghetto keyboard!

Can change patches from my keyboard!

Can play chords! Most cables fail with chords!

Cons:

I'm not sure it may be my keyboard but I can't send a tempo/clock signal.

Ok so there is some latency. Big Whoop. I think it makes it better.

Creates noise coming from my keyboard speakers. I turn the volume on the keyboard down, and I hear no noise. Connect MIDI cable, and BOOM. hissing. No prolem at the moment as I am using the computer as a synth. Also, this is a crappy keyboard, and it may happen with all cables due to shid quality of my keyboard. I dunno. This won't matter if you are controlling a HardSID 4U, as it has special stuff for this. It might matter for a MIDIbox SID, for example, as there is no interference blocker (that I can see) but you could just put a cap over the ins to ground and it might work...good luck!

OtherThoughts:

Sorry I can't test MIDI out, I don't have no MIDI devices besides my Medeli mc37 cheapo keyboard. I ran the cable with savihost to the Claw VSTi for a while...got bored making sweet acid sounds so I opened up the MIDI setup, added the cable as output (already input) and checked MIDI pass thru. The blue LED lit the same as the Amber one. No latency sweet!

Uniform latency. This DOES seem to change each time I reconnect the cable. I have not measured this at all. all I know, is all keys are recieved exactly the same as the one before. But take out the USB cable, plug it in again, and the note recieving latency may be different.

No tempo control- I tried this with Rebirth-338 on Clock Sync...no sync...try changing the tempo....no sync....bummer. Not a big con really tho.

Bottomline:

BUY IYT IF YOU NEED A MIDI IN! MAYBE NOT OUT THOUGH!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections