Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Bright, but not bright enough

posted by TennesseeTony on 03/28/2008
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

The light output is blue-white, and very very very wide angle, I'd say almost 180 degrees light output.

This strip is divided up into 8.33 sections, yes, 8 and one third. Each section has nine leds, the 1/3 section has, you guessed it, three.

EACH of these sections is labeled 12V75W25A, which, when translated, is 12 volts, and I assume, again, I ASSUME .75 watts and .25 amps per each section.

That's a total of 6.25 Watts, at 2.01 amps at 12volts DC.

YES, the wires are labeled VCC and GND. It further looks as if you can break this strip into 9LED segments, as there are print marks and solder points to connect the wiring every nine LEDS. Further, as the 1/3 section consists of 3LEDS, I assume you could actually break it down to sections of 3, instead of nine.

I haven't broken mine yet, into segments, but I may. It is a rather bright strip, but it should be brighter for 75 leds that consume 6.25 watts. Gets warm too. It will probably be too much for my car trunk, but hey, it'll be a great help loading up all the bodies...er, groceries, yeah, groceries. :)

Cons:

Not sealed, no moisture resistance.

Cool blue. Not the worst I've seen, but not the most natural of colors indoors.

2 amps? Not going be running this one on any wall transformers, are ya? Have a fire extinguisher ready. ;)

Definitely not as bright as I expected 75 LEDs to be. But it IS BRIGHT, no doubt, just not up to my expectations. I'd say it's on par with the output of a 20 to 25watt incandescent bulb

OtherThoughts:

I've not tested it above 12volts DC. My plan originally was to use it as a car trunk light. I may now run some wiring from out of my daughter's computer and up to this thing, mounted at the top of her desk, to act as a reading light/night light anytime she has the computer powered up.

Bottomline:

A semi-bright, power hungry strip that (likely) can be broken down (cut) into shorter segments if needed.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections