DX » Community » Reviews » YY BY-18 Electronic Flash (5600K)
  • 5 star 5 ( 42% )
  • 4 star 7 ( 58% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Set expectations, accordingly!

posted by MrPromee on 11/06/2008

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Works great with the Seagull remote Slave Trigger (SKU 02321) and any of the cheap little tripods offered on here for a little improv, off camera fill flash. It's small and light weight so it doesn't take up much extra space in the camera bag.

I actually bought this as a "hair light" flash so the fact that it dumps it's full flash doesn't cause much of a problem for me in terms of light but it does result in a delayed cycle time compared to my speedlight or any higher end flash. A good set of lithium batteries helps with the cycle time, though.

Cons:

Make no bones about it - this is a cheap flash. It feels cheap, looks sort of cheap, doesn't come with any swivel and the only adjustment to the flash itself is power on or off. I'd be afraid to mount this on my camera for fear of hurting the camera. I knew all of this when I bought it so I wasn't disappointed.

OtherThoughts:

DX carries several different models made by this company and some of them appear to be MUCH better than this one but they're also bigger and more expensive. In this situation, something light and compact that I might be lugging around for 10+ hours that I wouldn't be too hurt about seeing get knocked over and broken was more important than any of these other factors and on that level, this product really delivers! If you use it like I do, you'll need a cover or cloth or tissue and rubber band or something to help tone down the strength of the flash in some circumstances. A little experimentation will help you get things where they need to be.

Bottomline:

Buying a cheap flash to put on an expensive camera is just asking for trouble. Don't do it!

That said, this product is a good value when used appropriately.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections