• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Small and useful, but stuck with Chinese interface

posted by vilarcamaraneto on 12/17/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

* Smaller than I thought;
    * Supports client/repeater modes, i.e., can be configured to extend a wired/wireless network (that's why I bought it);
    * Can use any USB powered port to work (I plugged it to the service USB port of my TV receiver);
    * Easy to configure: after a few steps it is up with my not-so-conventional setup (wireless client).

Cons:

If you are a non-Chinese speaker, then both the interface and the manual are uninteligible. Cannot upgrade the firmware to English (see Other Thoughts). There is an english manual online, but instructions are a bit different, particularly the device+PC static IPs.

OtherThoughts:

I tried to update the chinese firmware with the english one (which oddly requires that I install a TFTP server on my PC), but the latter was refused because of language incompatibilities. So, we are stuck with the stock chinese FW. Advice: Try to follow the pictures of the Chinese quick-install guide.

Bottomline:

Think of it as a magic device to transform any Ethernet-ready gadget into a wireless one (printers, TVs, etc.)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections