DX » Community » Reviews » Outdoor Survival Portable Pocket Hand Saw Chain - Black
  • 5 star 3 ( 75% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 25% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Small, light, slowish, good enough

posted by Criggie on 07/21/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Its small and light and actually cuts reasonably well.

While its not as quick as a bowsaw its quick enough. There are 3 pictures uploaded of me cutting a 10cm / 4" plum tree limb, and it took a total of 34 pulls on each side (68 pulls total) until the branch snapped under its own weight.

I can imagine tying a rope to either handle to use this from a distance, but you'd have to get the chain over the branch unkinked first.

Cons:

Its not a chainsaw chain, its more like a small bicycle chain with cutting teeth on every third link. So there are 11 cutting teeth in the whole thing.

Chain is 5 mm thick so makes quite a wide cut in the wood. A bow saw makes a much thinner cut, requiring less effort.

OtherThoughts:

The chain is not quite like a bicycle chain... its got outers and inners rather than lots of the same piece that go around the next link in the chain.

There are 11 raker teeth as well for clearing the cut - this is a good thing to have given the amount of material being removed.

There are two triangles of metal, one at each end which the strap handles attach to. These tend to bunch at one side, so tonight's plan is to sew them a bit closer to the metal. Not a big deal.

I didn't use or need gloves while using this saw.

Pouch is a good idea, you have to undo any loops before using the saw.

Cut pattern is not straight, its a nice curve. Also the cut is not flat, it tends to curve towards the direction of pull.

Bottomline:

I bought this as a EDC for my landrover - it won't replace the EDC hatchet, or the big axe and bowsaw that I carry on real trips, but its good enough.

• Before starting 10cm plum branch
    • After 20 pulls per handle (40 total)
    • Done, snapped at 34 pulls per side (68 total)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections