DX » Community » Reviews » Super Mini Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter Dongle (Vista Compatible)
  • 5 star 1006 ( 75% )
  • 4 star 294 ( 22% )
  • 3 star 31 ( 2% )
  • 2 star 9 ( 1% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good for the price, but not what I was hoping for

posted by MS3FGX on 05/17/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Excellent price

Very small

Well supported chipset

Cons:

Sticks out too far to leave in many laptops

Limited range due to small antenna

OtherThoughts:

I was really hoping I could get this adapter and leave it plugged into my Eee 701 full time, but that is simply not going to happen. The body of the adapter sticks so far out from the actual USB connector that it's small rounded form factor is essentially pointless. Instead of pushing obstructions aside, the rounded edges actually act like a hook, getting the adapter stuck every time something passes along the side (like the case).

On the plus side, this adapter uses the Cambridge Silicon Radio chipset, and thus is well supported on all platforms. Had no problems using this with Linux 2.6.24 and BlueZ 3.26. In addition, this adapter had a valid MAC address, unlike some of the cheap adapters which all ship with the same MAC.

Bottomline:

It is hard to be too positive about this adapter. While it works perfectly fine, the entire point of the device seems lost since it sticks so far out of the machine. Granted this effect is probably less pronounced on other machines, but for the Eee this is basically useless. If you want full-time Bluetooth on an Eee, your best bet is to open it and install one internally, or at least get one of the other small adapters sold here on DX.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections