There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• A light to keep

posted by Adventurer on 10/23/2008

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This is the brightest light that I own. The throw of this light is far better than expected from a light with a head that is only a little over 3cm in diameter, outshines all of the pocket lights by a huge margin. For a 3 cell light this unit is surpisingly compact, only about a cm longer than a 2 AA Mag LED or 2 cell CR123A lights, and only slightly bulkier than the old 2xAA. while not really a pocket light it will take up very little space in your bag. This light accepts all of the standard (12V+) drop in Modules available at DX. A light you can upgrade or repair easily in the future. Construction quality is good & heavy, but variable (I have 2 of these). Can run protected RCR123A cells (SKU 3273, But a tight fit), I use SKU 722.

Cons:

Just a little too big.... it often gets left at home in favour of the pocket carry lights. (But when you are out of the city, this light is your friend)

Variable construction quality, one of my lights had bare metal showing in the area near the clip (a black permanent marker disguised this)

OtherThoughts:

You can buy drop in modules to upgrade this light. The Single mode module SKU 11836 gives a noticable increase in brightness and a slightly cleaner beam. The Multi-mode P4 SKU 11075 is about the same brightness as the orignal, but not quite as clean in the beam. (It does give you low power modes though, which is useful because this light is very very bright.) I recommend either of these drop-ins for this light.

Bottomline:

For sub $20 this is a great light. only marginally larger than your old favourite 2xAA light, but more powerful than large heavy "lantern" style lights..... Has the bonus of accepting drop in modules that will keep this light going well into the future. I guarantee you will only keep the old lights for nostalgia.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections