There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• The cheapest way to try macro!

posted by negitoro on 09/29/2008

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- Cheap way to try macro without a dedicated macro lens or lens filters.

- Well made, constructed of metal and feels like it is fairly durable.

- Good solid fit. This really provides confidence when you have your lens attached to them!

Cons:

- Both the camera end and the lens end of the tubes are machined very tightly. They don't fit smoothly like a lens but are very snug. Given this, I am reluctant to use this ring with any lens with a plastic mount (such as my Canon 50mm 1.8).

- This comes with a single sheet of instructions written entirely in Chinese.

- Doesn't come with a case/bag or end caps. Other reviews mentioned this also so I picked up some end caps (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8681) when I ordered these.

- No electrical contacts means wide open aperture and only manual focus. Combined with the close distance , the depth of field is razor thin on a big aperatures such as 1.8 or 2.8.

Bottomline:

Having never tried macro, I was very surprised at the results I could get in terms of magnification, even just using 2 of the 3 sections. As a newbie to macro, it was quite confusing to try to figure out how to get the picture in focus given the really thin depth of field.

However, it's still a great introduction to macro, especially given the price.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections