• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great if you've got the light

posted by KyleS on 02/27/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Completely manual, simple and straightforward.
    Mine has good build quality, and works, assuming the subject has enough illumination.
    It's cheaper than a good set of screw-on macro filters, and gives exceptionally better photos.

Cons:

Completely manual. This doesn't connect the signal between the lens and the camera, so apeture and focus are stuck (unless your lens lets you adjust manually).
    You need a lot more light with tubes then you do with macro-filters. The more extended you make it, the more light you need.
    Don't try to use all three together unless you've got a floodlight on your subject!
    Because this is so simple and manual, it doesn't need much care or protection, but the threads are a little delicate. Keep the kit together in your bag!

OtherThoughts:

Nikon's cheapest lens is the 50mm, and that lens can co completely manual, which makes it perfect for this. It's also the lens that all the photography-websites say you need to buy if you've got a Nikon. If you want to do macro-photos, you could do a lot worse than buying this & a new (or used) 50mm lens.
    If you don't have a manual lens this will still work, it's just a little harder. If I take my 18-55mm zoom lens (standard nikon kit lens) off, when my camera is on, the apeture stays on it's last setting. Set it wide open, take it off, then attach it to the macro-tube.

Bottomline:

If you want to take macro photos on the cheap, this is way way better than a macro-filter.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections