posted by infra1 on 10/12/2011
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

-Great inexpensive way of turning your older lens into a macro lens

-Went on and off without a hitch on my D7000

-Offers a significant increase in focal length with your current lens

Cons:

-You MUST have a lens with an aperture ring (older lenses)

-A caveat with this technique of creating a macro lens is you lose light -- not sure how much but I'm reading a fullstop -- so low light won't work too well unless you have a lens with a super wide aperture

-Some people may have to fiddle with it to get it nice and snug when using more than one of the spacers at the same time

-Lens may fasten incorrectly (does not snap in) if inserted at the wrong slot point --- it will still screw in, but the small bolt that clips/locks the lens into place will not engage -- just remember to fasten the lens with the white dot indicator (if your lens has one) so that it's lined up with your camera body

-Don't lose the screw that comes with it -- it's a tab to pull the lens lock

OtherThoughts:

I'm really enjoying this little piece of hardware. You can take some amazing pictures (or video footage) if you've got the right lens. I've added a couple of video clips --- please see above (no post editing).

Bottomline:

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for a macro lens and you've got an older lens with an aperture ring, you should definitely give this a try! Just be prepared for a little fiddling around with it to get it secured right, but it's really not that bad. I've been using it for a little while and I'm quite comfortable with it. I've had no issues with the spacer getting stuck to my D7000's body. In and out, just like a normal lens.

Check out the video clips I've added above.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections