DX » Community » Reviews » TrustFire TR-001 Multi-Purpose Lithium Battery Charger
  • 5 star 45 ( 82% )
  • 4 star 10 ( 18% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Model# TR-001 will also charge lithium-polymers

posted by shastalore on 05/27/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Unique: Runs on 12VDC (required for portable solar and wind generated systems).

- Price.

- Will also charge 3.7 Volt lithium-polymer batteries (see "Other Thoughts" below).

Cons:

- Out-of-the-box, the 12VDC input jack did not work. But a touch of the soldering gun quickly repaired the loose internal solder connection (but we're not cry-babies on this site -right?).

I went one step further and soldered a standard 12VDC "cigarette lighter" plug (and line) into the TrustFire device.

OtherThoughts:

I've always recycled "dead" laptop and digital camera battery packs. Really. Break open one of these and you'll find that most of the individual lithium cells will still provide years of excellent service.

For example, those funky devices that require 3-AA batteries, or 3-AAA batteries, will be far more functional with one lithium-ion (or lithium-polymer) battery. Now my devices will stay fully charged, up to a year on the shelf or in the tool box.

For charging those flat lithium-polymer batteries, I soldered one set of "+" and "-" alligator clips, with leads, into the TrustFire device.

I would upload a picture of my modified TrustFire device, but it would only create confusion and misunderstandings for the DealExtreme customer service department.

Bottomline:

Highly recommended item for the hobbyist and experimenter.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections