• 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good starter kit, with some minor flaws/missing parts.

posted by KriLL3 on 07/07/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Mostly well thought-out kit, the wheel/gearbox/motor combination and arrangement is good and works well, if you add a couple more parts of your own it makes a very capable robot. The 2 layers with 2 usable sides each are very friendly to user customization and additional components, it's very easy to work with and comes with a lot of screws, brass posts etc to assemble it and add your own components.

Cons:

No datasheets, no specifications, no documentation, no instructions some of it is google:able but some of it isn't, primarily the motors, unmarked thus your guess is as good as mine what voltage they're rated at.

Gearboxes unoiled and squeaky, needs some oil before you try to use them.

No holes on the plastic layers fit the non-premounted parts, you'll have to drill your own.

Camera turret/holder needs 2 servos to assemble, you get one.

You need a better power source than 6x AAs unless you happen to have li-ion/NiMH ones, I'd recommend a NiMH pack meant for RC cars.

IR receiver/remote is mostly pointless, IR is very short range and low angle

OtherThoughts:

Read my forum thread bellow to get some details on the parts and documentation on how I built a robot out of most of the parts, and adding some others.

Bottomline:

Good kit with some parts somewhat redundant and others strangely absent, but a good starting point to learn about robotics, electronics and mechanics.

• Parts laid out
    • Example of assembled robot

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections