Customer’s impression:
Verry Good
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Does exactly what it says

posted by W3irdN3rd on 04/05/2009
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

I've been looking for a device like this for a long time. It'll work with any infrared remote, unlike much more expensive solutions that come with their own remote. It's simple to program and the power can also be switched on/off with the small button. It's also quite sensitive, you really don't have to aim very precise at it. According to my measurements, it uses less than 1 watt, so it makes for an excellent standbykiller.

Cons:

Why oh why is it not available with Schuko (common in continental Europe) connectors? If I had to I'd pay double for this thing if it had Schuko connectors! It does work with adapters, but I have only one word for Edison plugs: dodgy! (how can Edison plugs still be legal in the USA?) Also, ground is lacking. This is the only reason it gets 3 points for usefulness because it limits the places where it can be installed. With Schuko connectors, that would have been 5!

A minor con could be the button, if used often I'm afraid it might break. Under normal conditions you hardly ever need the button though, so usually this won't be a problem.

Bottomline:

There are no other products like this one. Any standbykiller stores try to sell you won't work as well as this one because they are "dumb". This device actually learns the IR-code from your remote, which is what you want.

This kind of device should be available on every corner of the streets (with Schuko plugs). Since it isn't (it's very hard to find), buy it from DX!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections