• 5 star 81 ( 74% )
  • 4 star 27 ( 25% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 1% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
Very good perfect Positive Very Good service Perfeito para contatos em repetidoras
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Excellent HT!

posted by mmclean on 12/06/2012

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This radio is absolutely great concerning features. It has 4 Watts of output power on 2m and 70cm. Also you can use the FRS, PMR446, and PRS on this radio. The offset function for repeater use makes life much easier than having 2 seperate channels for r input and output. Very easy to program using the usb cable which is sold seperately.

Cons:

Having said that PC programming is easy to do; programming using the keypad is an absolute nightmare. The steps are confusing and the manual is next to useless and doesn't describe any manual programming steps. Youtube is the best place to find tutorials and there are indeed some very informative videos there. Stock rubber duck antenna is not very good. I personally recommend a Nagoya NA-771 which gives much better coverage.

OtherThoughts:

When you purchase this radio make sure you get a programming cable as it will greatly help you program your channels. SKU 123063 will work perfectly and is what I use to program the radio myself.

Bottomline:

If your looking for a cheap, solidly built VHF/UHF transciever this will do perfectly. You will not find a cheaper radio anywhere on the internet with the Baofeng UV-5R's quality and features. Buy It!.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections