• 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Very flexible PT4115 based driver. Easy to mod.

posted by desolder on 05/21/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Efficiency is fantastic! I measured 94% efficiency with 12VDC and 3 LED's, bypassing the bridge rectifier. As a consequence, it also stays very cool.

So easy to mod. I added a 1 ohm resistor to increase current to 770mA and also bypassed the bridge rectifier to improve efficiency a little. You can even piggy back a PWM circuit if you want, for external control and custom modes.

It's small, and you can even cut it smaller if you don't need the bridge rectifier.

Cons:

There is no output capacitor. This may cause interference with nearby electronics. Add a 1uF capacitor across the output to reduce RF interference.

It's only ~80% efficient with one LED.

Input capacitor is only rated for 25V. DX claims 8 to 40V input. You will need to upgrade the capacitor for >25V.

OtherThoughts:

If you are using this with 12VAC and 2 or 3 LED's, you need a bigger input capacitor in order to maintain full power. I recommend 330uF for 2 LED's, and 1000uF for 3 LEDs.

Bottomline:

I'm using this with sku.15084 for a 3 LED bike light and it works great!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections