DX » Community » Reviews » 3W InfraRed LED 850nm IR Emitter on 2cm Star (1.5V~1.7V DC)
  • 5 star 4 ( 100% )
  • 4 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Amazing performance!

posted by Magicflame on 10/05/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

The performance from this LED is amazing! I wired this to a 2 volt sealed lead acid battery as suggested by dav850, but lost my nerve, as the battery was brand new and reading about 2.36 volt open-circuit, so I opted to limit the current with 5 x 5 Ohm resistors in parallel (they were only 1 watt each). The output was stupendous and more than able to light up an entire room. Even just bouncing the light off a white ceiling bathes the entire room in more than enough light to capture good video (will try to upload some pics or vids soon). Later I got braver and stuck a huge heatsink on and got rid of the resistors. This was when the fun really started! More than three times brighter than before. It has now been running at over 4 watt for hours!

Cons:

None so far, but we'll see, I guess. Would require a very powerful driver to get the same performance from mains power, due to low voltage.

OtherThoughts:

A bank of these used as the light source for a night-vision setup would be awsome, especially if you could find a way to focus the light a bit for distance.

Bottomline:

Great buy if you want a really powerful IR light.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections