Customer’s impression:
perfect Small Easy to use High Quality Ninguno
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Simply the best!

posted by robel on 11/28/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

The DS18B20 is a digital temperature sensor with a great accuracy. I have two of these and they agree within one sixth of a degree. The price here at DX is one of the lowest I’ve seen, unless you order bulk (thousands) quantities. Using 1-wire is pretty simple on the Arduino, and with this well known communication protocol, this sensor can be used with other MCUs as well as a PC.

Cons:

None at all! It works as expected.

OtherThoughts:

Working with 1-wire requires a 4k7 ohm pull-up resistor according to the data sheet. This is true whether you use parasite power or external power (3 wires). The 4k7 value is not critical, but it is a well known resistor (part of the E12 series for example). Any value around 4k7 ohm should work. I would not go too low however because that would make job hard for the master when pulling line low. Going to high for a pull-up resistor could provide too low power to the sensor and make the 1-wire more sensitive to noise.

Bottomline:

This is a really cheap and great temperature sensor with an excellent accuracy. Several sensors can be connected to the 1-wire bus. Easy to use and an “extreme deal”. :-)

• DS18B20 in ds18b20 parasitic power mode

Post comment

DX Everywhere