Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Amazing performance.

posted by 1dash1 on 09/18/2008
    2 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- At widest focus, it's a pure flood! No discernible hotspot. Almost clean of artifacts. And it's not a weak sidespill, it's a bright flood. The flood is so bright, I wish this flashlight had a second, lower mode.

- Zoomed in, this torch outthrows my 3D Maglite LED and my brand-spanking-new M20 R2. Amazing!

- Tint is not bad. Perhaps slightly more blue when zoomed out (flood), than when zoomed in (spot). If this is supposed to be a WC tint, I'd say it's on the cooler side of the tint chart.

- Using SKU 5776, runtime was 3 hours to 50% (eyeball approximation) and 1 more hour until battery reached 2.75 volts. Output at that point was still usable, approximately 10 lumens.

Cons:

- Build quality is a mixed bag. For example, the head seems to be well-engineered, but you can plainly see dust and hair trapped under the lens. The tailcap assembly seems well designed, but the tail switch seems flimsy.

- The slide mechanism works extremely well. It's very easy to operate with one hand. (But feels cheap. There's no tactile "click" when fully extended or fully retracted. And it feels loose, even though it isn't.)

- The body is much bigger than necessary to hold an 18650 cell. Fins have been added to the inside of the tube to act as a reducer. However, the battery still rattles, so I wrap it in paper to dampen the rattle. (Not an elegant solution, but it works.)

- When fully focused, the projected beam shape is very square. It takes some time to get adjusted to it. (Some people may never get used to the idea of a square spotlight. It looks weird.)

- It wobbles when it tailstands. (Yes, it can easily tail stand.) Why didn't they recess the tailswitch 1/16" more to eliminate the wobble?

OtherThoughts:

This is a heartbeat away from being a great light. All it needs are a few tweaks, such as:

- Smaller, better fitting tube.

- Better cleanliness, quality control.

- More thoughtful knurling.

- 2 stage clicky with a more durable tailswitch.

- Head spring to eliminate the occasional blinking caused by loss of contact.

- Fully regulated circuit.

Bottomline:

For a little more than twenty bucks, this is one of the best buys on DX.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections