Customer’s impression:
good Small Easy blue comfy
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Inexpensive and good looking

posted by Simonetti2010 on 10/11/2012
    7 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

This is a very good looking, compact, graphical LCD for the Arduino. Although marketed as "Nokia 5110", this is in fact a Philips PCD8544 LCD display, with resolution of 84x48 and blue backlight.

It has to be powered with 5V, and not 3.3V.

The price is right at $5, and it can add a lot to anyone's project visual feedback.

About connecting it to the Arduino: some sites suggest that you use a shift-level IC to connect it to the arduino, but that is totally unnecessary. A 4 x 1k + 2x10k resistors will do the job just fine. I even built a shield (using sku.138294) to connect it to the arduino (se pictures I uploaded to DX) using the resistors.

For library, I am using the u8glib (, which has built in support for the PCD8544 in the Arduino 1.0.1 environment. There are, however, several other libraries worth checking.

There are none.

It is worth to take the time and built a shield for this display, like I did. I also posted some pics of such shield on the sku.138294 page.

One must also be very careful when handling this device, because it is very fragile.

Although I love the text displays (16x2 and 20x4), a graphical LCD is always welcome, and being small, in this case, is quite and advantage. For less than $5, I am sure this is an expense nobody will regret.

• Nokia LCD 5110 from DX - Top
    • Nokia LCD 5110 from DX - Side
    • Nokia LCD 5110 from DX - Top - off

Post comment

DX Everywhere