• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
good but I was probably unfortunate
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Inexpensive and good looking

posted by Simonetti2010 on 10/11/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This is a very good looking, compact, graphical LCD for the Arduino. Although marketed as "Nokia 5110", this is in fact a Philips PCD8544 LCD display, with resolution of 84x48 and blue backlight.

It has to be powered with 5V, and not 3.3V.

The price is right at $5, and it can add a lot to anyone's project visual feedback.

About connecting it to the Arduino: some sites suggest that you use a shift-level IC to connect it to the arduino, but that is totally unnecessary. A 4 x 1k + 2x10k resistors will do the job just fine. I even built a shield (using sku.138294) to connect it to the arduino (se pictures I uploaded to DX) using the resistors.

For library, I am using the u8glib (http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/), which has built in support for the PCD8544 in the Arduino 1.0.1 environment. There are, however, several other libraries worth checking.

Cons:

There are none.

OtherThoughts:

It is worth to take the time and built a shield for this display, like I did. I also posted some pics of such shield on the sku.138294 page.

One must also be very careful when handling this device, because it is very fragile.

Bottomline:

Although I love the text displays (16x2 and 20x4), a graphical LCD is always welcome, and being small, in this case, is quite and advantage. For less than $5, I am sure this is an expense nobody will regret.

• Nokia LCD 5110 from DX - Top
    • Nokia LCD 5110 from DX - Side
    • Nokia LCD 5110 from DX - Top - off

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections