Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Good light gave me a little over two years so far

posted by cnbmisis on 07/20/2011
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Overall very good light. Have always been happy with the throw/spill and seems to be somewhere around half the factory rated output, which is probably about what we should expect from the factory rating engineers.

Build quality fairly good - lens needed a little cleaning, and reflector had a fingerprint on it. Never did any mods to it. Was supplied with a flush crown & attack crown as shown.

Modes always worked well for me -- memory perfect. SOS is as described, not truly SOS, but just a repeating SOSOSOS. Strobe is probably a little slow to be disorienting, but definitely an attention getter.

DROP SURVIVAL -- this light has taken a number of sharp drops, including a few feet to concrete, and never had any issues.

Cons:

Rubber liner ring on outside (located near bottom of belt clip) lasted about a year (no real loss without it).

Switch broke after 2.5 years. First seemed to only be passing partial current, then got flaky changing modes, and then I discovered the boot was disintegrating somewhat. Upon removing the switch, I discovered how picky it is with position (i.e. do not remove it unless you have a ready replacement) and now is inoperable. Have not yet found a replacement.

Won't tailstand solidly - switch boot protrudes just a hair too far. It *does* tailstand, however, with a bit of wobble.

OtherThoughts:

Used it happily with http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-3-6v-880mah-16340-cr123a-batteries-2-pack-8683 and http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-cr123a-battery-ac-charger-6672 and was a nice setup. I carry a spare pair of RCR & primary, though rarely did I need them.

I never did a burn test, but it feels like I could get the rated times. Generally would last for a couple weeks or more with periodic EDC use.

Bottomline:

Great ROI, even with the eventual failure. Hoping to retool the switch and have it as a great backup to my new light, from DX of course.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections