• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great buy!

posted by jeffwazz on 09/10/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Purchased 2 of these as bike lights for the coming winter months.

Fit and finish was acceptable. Head needed a bit of attention to remove swarf and machining burrs. Tail end also needed similar attention, but hey, it was a 5 minute job. Threads were well cut and greased as delivered, but again, I cleaned everything and re-greased. Regardless of what I buy it'll get stripped and re-built!

Tail reverse clickies have a nice action.

Anodising seems hard and passed the coin-scratch test, which may suggest it to be HA-III.

The cookie-cutter bezel fits well and holds the front lens up against the o-ring well. Other o-rings seal out the water well. Not depth tested yet!

R2 drop-in works well. Faultless in one light, other light a minor problem (see cons).

Wrist-strap ok, steel clip and rubber grip pretty good hold to belt and pocket.

Cons:

Machining on my 2 lights is slightly different. One light tailstands, one doesn't.

One of the R2 drop-ins developed a flicker, and then completely stopped working. A quick strip down of the pill revealed a double layer driver board, and on further examination a dry solder joint between an smt component and board. A swift wave of the soldering iron remedied this and restored it to eye-blistering brightness. Not really a con since easily fixed, and may occur on any driver board from any manufacturer.

Both drop-ins will switch mode if knocked reasonably hard. Ok with drop-offs of about 1 metre though.

OtherThoughts:

May try a different driver in the pill more suited to 18650 cells.

Bottomline:

Buy one, or two. Attack Bezel can be used to make cookies. Both lights holding up well at 70+ bicycle miles a week.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections