Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Awesome unit! QA needs help.

posted by chudgoo on 11/07/2012
    7 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

• Runs very smooth. Fast CPU
    • Speaker output fairly loud
    • Very thin
    • Great ABXY buttons. Very clicky like the DS.
    • Great d-pad
    • Responsive CAPACITIVE touchscreen
    • Overall nice look and feel
    • Nice DS-like power/wifi/charging lights
    • Came with US AC adapter
    • Came with USB OTG, USB mini cables.

Cons:

• LCD viewing angles are tricky... Dead on, it looks great. tilt the unit back (top away from you) and the image fades and inverts. Side-to-side viewing angles are good, however.

• Though there are two speaker holes on the back, the unit only contains one speaker

• "Analog" slider is in fact digital 8-way switch

• No shoulder buttons. (Though I mainly got this to play 2-to-4 button consoles games like SMS, Genesis, GG, NES and Neogeo, so it doesn't bother me much...yet. ;)

• The front and back halves of the case do not join together "flush". The back case has a small lip that overhangs the front

• Most of the default apps on the unit are Chinese and the emulators aren't the best.

• The back can get a little warm, but it's not THAT bad.

• The LCD is recessed about ~1.5mm so tapping near the edges of the screen can be tough sometimes.

• The power button is very easy to hit accidentally.

• Cameras are pretty av

OtherThoughts:

The unit I received had some "quality control issues".

• I noticed within the first 5 minutes that if you pressed your finger on a certain spot on the front of the case (near the bottom left of the screen / d-pad area), the unit would short out and turn off. Upon opening it up, I found that one of the screws holding in the logic board was too long and was touching the back of the LCD, shorting it out. After experimenting, I ultimately removed the screw and the unit is working perfectly now.
    •The battery had been installed upside down with excessive wire coiled up sloppily.
    • The wifi antenna cable had been pinched between the front/back case during assembly and where it's soldered to the wifi card, the cable is bent backward at a sharp angle, begging to break off.
    • The front/back cameras had double sided tape on the back but they weren't stuck to anything so the back one was misaligned, blocking 70% of the view. I had to fix it manually.

Haven't trie

Bottomline:

A very nice unit for the price, but it's not without its issues. Build quality is nice, but the quality control seems to be a bit lacking.

If you know what you're getting into, this is a great little unit!

On another topic, I highly recommend installing "Skelrom v1.1 ICS for JXD S5100" on this unit. Better performance and includes many improved apps/emulators.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections