DX » Community » Reviews » P4100 100MHz Oscilloscope Scope Clip Probe Cables - Black (120cm)
  • 5 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Usable HV probe, but be careful with HV

posted by theoristos on 10/24/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Was provided in standard scope probe plastic bag with instruction.
    1:100 divider is a quite accurate
    Three type of color notification rings (R,G,B)

Cons:

The isolation of the ground clip wire is fairly thin as me. Maybe it can sustain 2 kV but only if not be a little damaged.

Some difficulties with safer use (see below)

OtherThoughts:

The ground goes straightforward from clip to scope. No resistor ladders or other isolation. So BE WARNED! CHECK ground-to-ground potential before connecting grounds. Wrong connection or high potential due non-grounded (or on the contrary grounded) devices can make huge problems.

As I see, there is no internal divider in this probe. Simply the 100 MOhm res. between input and output with some compensation circuit. So, unattached to scope probe will have the SAME HIGH DC POTENTIAL at the output as at input. DO NOT attach probe to testing HV circuit first, you must firstly attach it to scope and turn scope input "DC in". Otherwise it is possible to damage scope.
    Also, DO NOT turn scope input to "AC in"! The full DC HV would be applied to blocking capacitor and likely damage it. Additionally, I do not recommend turning the scope input into "Off" state on the HV load. The HV DC voltage can damage scope in moment of switching to "DC in" state.

Bottomline:

Also, some scopes with 10MOhm rather than 1MOhm input will have only 1:10 divider with this probe.

Tested up to 1 kV (not tested up to 2 kV yet)

Be carefull.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections