DX » Community » Reviews » XBox 360 Zoom Kinect Sensor Range Reduction Adapter - Black
  • 5 star 6 ( 55% )
  • 4 star 5 ( 45% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good quality, with some reservations on image quality (distortion)

posted by chuank on 01/06/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Good for reducing the range of the Kinect. I don't use the Kinect for gaming but use it for computer vision tracking projects. With this adapter on, the tracking algorithms still work decently (see Other Thoughts below)

Quality is great. It also allows the Kinect LED to pass through so you know what's up with the Kinect.

Finishing of adapter matches that of the black Kinect. if you're into aesthetics.

Cons:

The lenses are recessed and spring-mounted. If you're not careful when attaching the adapter to your Kinect, you just might scratch the plastic lens housing of your Kinect. So be gentle, and avoid any snapping action.

OtherThoughts:

To those also using Kinects for computer vision tracking purposes, bear in mind that this adapter will cause some fish-eye distortion to your raw image, both the 640x480 color image, as well as the IR field.

The depth sensor also tapers off at the edges of the image, due to this fish-eye distortion.

I have not extensively used my Kinect to measure distances, but I'm sure this distortion is going to affect your tracking algorithms if you intend to do that.

Bottomline:

Good if you're gaming in a small room.

A necessity if you're into CV tracking and have a confined space, although the sensor capabilities will be affected moderately.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections