There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good but not without cons

posted by LukeRed on 06/15/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Suprisingly large amount of light from just 2 AA's - overshined all flashlights of similar size I have owned before

Looks sturdy and pro ;)

Fits comfortably in hand

Click & go - no strobe / SOS modes

Cons:

- Scratches batteries - one of my Eneloops got scratched so much, that it shorted with metal wall and the flashlight began to shine even with turned off

- Bad driver quality

- Gets HOT!

- Bad protection of tailcap button

OtherThoughts:

Got it just before October. When I got it, put 2 Eneloops inside and turned on, I was amazed... though after 3 minutes the flashlight was warm and within 10 mins - quite hot 52-55 C / 126-131 F.

About 2 months later, the driver began to malfunction - getting into different "modes" depending on spring pressure. AAfter 6 months the driver died permanently (LED is still good).

Bottomline:

LED is clearly overdriven - the flashlight warmed up very fast for just 2 AA's. Also, it was drawing >2 amps from 2X Eneloop, effectively cutting usage time below 60 minutes. After driver malfunction it changed. While brightness was somewhat lower (though still very bright), power consumption got down to 0.8A and heat build-up vanished. Also, on another "mode" of driver it took 10 mA (!) while still shining good enough for searching .

The price would be good if the driver were of better quality.

Tailcap button should be more proteteced from accidentally turning on - with heald buildup in closed space the flashlight can easily melt.

Also, adding mid/low modes would be useful

I have ordered second flashlight, also 2 replacement drivers, will see what can be done :)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections