Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Hobbywing 5V/6V 3A Switch-Mode Ultimate BEC (UBEC)

posted by djarent on 05/07/2010
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

The only con I can think of is that there's limited mounting facilities for the unit. The whole thing is enclosed in a plastic sleeve. Oh, yeah, and it's a good hobby shop price but, maybe a little expensive for a DX item.

Cons:

This small little DC/DC converter solves the power loss/heat problems associated with a resistor or series pass type voltage regulator. My use is to drop a 12V battery on my scooter down to about 4V to light a white LED for use as the headlight. My current plan is to use the DX R2 module (350 mA) for the light. In tests, the R2 gets HOT (even at the 5V Hobbywing output). With no heat sink, it gets hot enough to cut in the thermal cutout (LED flashes). Meanwhile, the Hobbywing unit just barely gets warm! I ended up putting a diode in series with the R2 module and it still gets hot but, not hot enough to cut out (although I'll probably need more heat sinking in the scooter light assembly). The Hobbywing is extremely simple to hook up and has a little red indicator LED for operation. It's small and seems to be well-built.

OtherThoughts:

Probably the easiest way to secure it is with a small clip or clamp. A single hole, drilled through the middle of it so it could be mounted with one screw might be a good design feature.

Bottomline:

To drop some voltage without the heat or power loss, this is a great solution.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections