Customer’s impression:
good nice I received a defective item...
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• good charger, but has some issues

posted by lavibl on 09/22/2008
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

What you see is what you get.

Very similar to Bantam B6 (cell for well over 100$).

Comes with temp prob.

Does exactly what it shpuld - charge.

Charges Lipo, A123, Lion, nicd, nimh, lead acid.

for this price, it is more then you can expect !

Cons:

Cables are way too thin.

i cannot see how a wire with thickness like a servo wire will hold 5Amp.

The USB port is not USB and there is not a single word about it on the manual (well maybe 2 words). You need to change the function of the USB to Temp prob, using the setup screens.

Balancer is far from being accurate, for me, the 6th cell gets to 4.2V almost instantly (and it is not the case - verified with a fluke voltmeter).

Buzzer is very VERY LOUD.

The case has 8-16V AC on it, so when you touch it, you feel a litle current.

It gets Hot when charging high viltage (6s) or high current (4-5Amp)

OtherThoughts:

few upgrades solved most of the issues, and i suggest you apply them as well:

1. I took the charger apart and placed a mica (thin electrical isolating sheet but heat conductive) below the power MOSFET transistor (the one that touches the case). I also added thermal conductive silicone (available on DX).

2. Drilled a hole on the side panel, near the 12V DC input. I soldered a 10 Amp rated wire directly to the PCB.

3. Attached a large heatsink (cpu heatsink) to the back of the charger using shoe goop (also applied thermal conductive silicone below).

step 1, eliminated the AC current on the caes.

steps 1+3 solved the heating problem.

Bottomline:

worth every cent, and I have another one ordered soon.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections