DX » Community » Reviews » TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode Memory 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)
  • 5 star 21 ( 58% )
  • 4 star 14 ( 39% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 3% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• New driver in these

posted by rdnman on 05/27/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Very bright, this is my second unit and this new one blows the first one I had totally away. I think this has a different driver in it then any of the previous builds (see details in other thoughts). Finish is excellent no flaws in the anodizing and fit and threads are good. Nice compact size sleek and classy looking. Dissipates heat well gets warm but not too hot. Fits protected cells no problem. Great runtime with the three modes. Orings at all threaded connections and at lens.

Cons:

Emitter was slightly off center on my last unit (not enough to bother me) but was better then my first unit which was considerably off. Does not tailstand. No memory mode, if it is off for a little while it will start back up in high. If you turn it off and don't wait long when you start it back up it goes to the next mode. I personally like the light to start up in high every time.

OtherThoughts:

My first unit draws only .7ma high, .53ma medium, and .24ma low, on a fully charged protected cell. This new unit runs at 1.29ma, .39ma, and .058ma on a a very slightly discharged protected cell at 4.15v. It is significantly brighter with a very white light. I was going to get a P7 next but this is so bright I might not bother. Can be easily modified to tailstand. Did I mention this light is very bright. I liked my first unit but I love this new one as the driver does not underdrive the LED like the old units.

Bottomline:

Sleek design and very portable because of its compact size. If they stick with this driver you will love this light as much as I do.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections